The reports, now in their 20th edition, are recognised throughout the payments industry as the most authoritative source of strategic information on the European and Eurasian digital payment and card markets. They are based on in-depth primary research, conducted throughout 2020, with Financial Institutions, Central Banks, card issuers, acquirers and network organisations across the regions.
Each country report comprises the following sections:
Regulatory Oversight: An in-depth review of the governance and supporting bodies that regulate the Banking and Payments Industries per market.
Banking Sector Structure: Digital challenger banks, internet/mobile banking, Open API Standards, PSD2 and the Open Banking Mandate. Banking Structure, Market Infrastructure, Market Dynamics.
Payment Services: Including card types and brands, contactless cards, interchange fee arrangements, e-money and digital payments, account-based payments, advanced and cashless payments.
Market Dynamics & Initiatives: This section covers blockchain and cryptocurrencies, GDPR, RTS SCA, eIDAS and digital ID trends and biometrics.
Market size and Dynamics: This section gives statistical tables (five years plus Y-o-Y growth and 5Y CAGR) for card numbers, card transactions by number and value, ATM withdrawals and POS payments. All tables include key performance indicators (KPIs) to provide added data and insight. This section also gives further detail on leading card issuers, consumer finance card issuing and international money transfers:
Card Products: Prepaid cards, Debit cards, Charge cards, Credit cards.
Card Issuing: Cards brands issued, Contactless cards, Issuer processors, Major issuers
Card Statistics: Card numbers, Card Use, POS Payments, ATM withdrawals.
Card Acquiring: Merchant processors, Major acquirers, Detailed acquirer table, ATMs, ATM networks, POS terminals, POS networks.
The Appendix: This section lays out significant historical events per market in the banking sector from previous years and details former players in the market that had a significant impact on the market, including M&A activity.
- Market Overview and Key Statistics
- Digital Challenger Banks
- Internet/Mobile Banking
- PSD2 and the Open Banking Mandate
- About Open API Standards
- Card Brands and Card Types
- Contactless Cards and form-factors
- Interchange Fee Arrangements
- Account-based Payment Services
- Advanced Payment Services
- Digital Payment Services
- Overview of Cashless Payments
- Exchange Rates
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Strong Customer Authentication (RTS SCA)
- eIDAS regulation and Digital ID Trends
- Biometric Authentication Services
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
- European Payment Initiative (EPI), EDPIA and Payments Europe
- Country Banking Industry Committee
- Domestic Cards
- Country specific Direct Debits
- Debit Card Brands in Country
- Network Service Processors (NSP)
- NSP Market Sector Consolidation
- Card Issuers in Country - Overview
- Card Processors and PSPs
- Online Payment Service Processors (PSPs)
- Acquiring and Acceptance
- Payment Institutions
- ATM Terminal Infrastructure
- Cash-Advance Services in Country - Competition for ATMs
- Cash Automation and Cash Dispensing Machines at Petrol Stations
- POS Terminal Infrastructure
- Cash-Advance Services at POS Terminals in Country
- Digital omnichannel Payment Hubs
- Remote Payments on the Internet - Cards & More
- Mobile Payments - Overview
- Mobile Payment Initiatives
- Cards in Issue
- Card Fraud
- Card Use
- Card Use per Capita
- Debit Card Use
- Country Retailers View on Card Payments in Retail Outlets
- Delayed Debit Card Use
- Credit Card Use
- E-Money Use
- Leading Credit Card Issuers
- Consumer Finance
- Private Label Card Use
- Banking Sector Background - Selected Notable Events
- Card Business Background - Selected Notable Events
- Authorisation Fee Background
- EMV Implementation Background
- Background of Mobile Payment Initiatives
- Addendum - Country Card Business History
- Historic Reshaping Activities in the Bank Sectors
- Historic Credit Card Issuer Background
- Historic Card Processing Background
- Historic Card Acquirer Background
- Historic Internet Payments Background
The publisher's research is collated over a year from Primary sources across all European and Eurasian markets. They use the ECB, BIS as well as annual reports from the European banks and listed companies, consulting platforms and major accounting firms along with a combined 100 years of experience in the payments industry analysing and commenting on the data.