The market for caustic soda in Mexico is expected to develop at a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period. The major factor driving the growth of the market is the high demand for caustic soda in pulp & paper due to the increasing demand for paper and paperboard. Unfavorable conditions arising due to the sudden outbreak of COVID-19 is anticipated to foil the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- Caustic soda is used to manufacture products in industries like paper & pulp, soap & detergents, textiles, etc. and also in the synthesis of many organic and inorganic chemicals. Therefore, the product has a high demand and is expected to boost the market studied.
Key Market Trends
High Demand from Pulp & Paper Application to Boost Caustic Soda Market in Mexico
- Caustic soda is used in the pulp and paper industry mostly for digesting wood to make wood pulp. It is also used as a bleaching agent for neutralizing bleached pulp and paper.
- Furthermore, it is used for the deinking of waste papers. Caustic soda is available in solid, flake, or powder form, while its water solution is mostly used by the pulp and paper industry.
- The paper production value in Mexico for the month of June 2019 is projected to be USD around 290 million, which is an increase of 1.5% compared with the figure enrolled around the same time of the last year.
- In Mexico, the gross production value of the book, newspaper, and magazine printing industry is estimated to add up to USD 19.5 million. The production of Magazine printing alone has a value of USD 1.8 million.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the Mexico Caustic Soda market during the forecast period.
Membrane Cell to Dominate Mexico Caustic Soda Market
- Manufacturing of caustic soda is a highly energy-intensive process. Membrane cell method is the most feasible because of its energy efficiency, low capital investment, inexpensive cell operation, ability to obtain high purity caustic solution, and eco-friendliness.
- Membrane cell employs the usage of the anode and the cathode separated by a non-permeable ion-exchange membrane. The anode is typically made of titanium metal coated with ruthenium dioxide, while the cathode is typically made of nickel, often with a coating to reduce the energy consumption.
- Membrane cell process requires a lesser quantity of evaporation, as compared to that of the diaphragm evaporation process. The total energy involved in the production of caustic soda using the membrane cell process is generally in the range of 2,500 kWh per metric ton.
- The disadvantages of using mercury cell process to manufacture caustic soda acted as a chief driver for the widespread adoption of membrane cell. The World Health Organization classified mercury as one of the top 10 chemicals posing a major public health concern. Mercury is toxic to human health, affecting people who are regularly exposed through diet or occupation. It also affects the fetuses.
- Various benefits of membrane cell process over other methods is expected to drive its market in the country during the forecast period.
The Mexico caustic soda market is partially consolidated. Some of the players in the market include Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Hanwha Solutions/Chemical Corporation, and SABIC.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Paper and Paperboards
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Rising Preference of Magnesium Hydroxide Over Caustic Soda in Certain Applications
4.2.2 Unfavourable Conditions due to COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.1 Membrane Cell
5.1.2 Diaphragm Cell
5.1.3 Other Production Processes
5.2.1 Pulp & Paper
5.2.2 Organic Chemical
5.2.3 Inorganic Chemical
5.2.4 Soap & Detergent
5.2.6 Water Treatment
5.2.8 Other Application Sectors
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Covestro AG
6.4.3 FMC Corporation
6.4.4 Hanwha Group
6.4.7 Manuchar Mexico
6.4.9 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.10 Olin Corporation
6.4.11 QUÍMICA TREZA
6.4.14 Westlake Chemical Corporation
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Covestro AG
- FMC Corporation
- Hanwha Group
- Manuchar Mexico
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation
- Olin Corporation
- QUÍMICA TREZA
- Westlake Chemical Corporation