The market for scratch resistant glass is expected to grow at a CAGR more than 8% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the increasing sales of premium smartphones and tablets along with increasing usage of the product in LCD’s and LED’s. High prices and use of coatings & film lamination along with declining automotive production are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Chemically strengthened glass dominated the market in 2018 and is expected to grow during the forecast period owing to its superior properties such as better optical clarity, improved impact absorbance and high scratch resistance. This type of glass also helps in enhancing the aesthetics of the devices and have enhanced usage in electronic gadgets and smartphones.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from the countries such as China, India and ASEAN Countries.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Smartphones and Tablets
- Sapphire glasses and gorilla glasses in smartphone and tablets applications is likely to stimulate market growth over the forecast period. Increasing demand of tablets in industrial applications is expected to drive the market. Introduction of new technologies and products along with enhanced toughness of the product will increase the demand of the product in the smartphones and tablets segment.
- The smartphone production volume is expected to reach 1,520 million units by 2021.According to International Data Corporation (IDC), design innovation in the smartphone industry will be the focused area along with increasing sales of 5G smartphones, globally. 5G smartphones experienced a slow start in 2019, capturing only 0.5% of the overall shipments, but it is expected that the shipments may increase to 23% by 2023, which would further enhance the usage of scratch resistant glasses in the smartphones’ category.
- The Indian smartphone market is one of the fastest growing market globally and ranks second largest market globally after China. According to industry statistics, the number of smartphone users in India is likely to increase to 829 million users by 2022.
- Owing to all the above-mentioned factors for scratch resistant glass, its market is expected to grow rapidly over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. With growing application in countries such as China, Japan and India the utilization of scratch resistant glass is increasing in the region.
- Some of the largest producers of scratch resistant glass are located in Asia-Pacific. Some of the leading companies in the production of scratch resistant glass are AGC Inc. (Asahi Glass), Nippon Electric Glass Co.,Ltd., Saint-Gobain, Crystalwise Technology Inc., KYOCERA Corporation.
- China’s consumer electronics segment is expected to reach USD 190.23 billion by 2024, at a growth rate of 2.3%. This creates a major scope for this market in the utilization of scratch resistant glass in the coming future.
- Rising disposable incomes along with growing population in countries such as China, Japan, and India are likely to boost the smartphone and tablets and consumer electronics industries, which is likely to enhance product demand over the forecast period. Government policies in countries such as Philippines and Indonesia to increase manufacturing facilities is likely to enhance the market demand for scratch resistant glass.
- Chemically strengthened glass offers various benefits such as high dimensional stability and enhanced shock absorption characteristics and hence, is used in manufacturing sustainable lighting solutions and connected devices in the Internet of Things (IoT) product category. Increasing demand for portable devices and OLED is likely to boost the consumption of scratch resistant glass in the coming years.
- The aforementioned factors, coupled with government support, are contributing to the increasing demand for scratch resistant glass during the forecast period.
The global scratch resistant glass market is fragmented with top 5 players accounting for a major share of the market. The major companies include AGC Inc. (Asahi Glass), Guardian Glass LLC, Corning Incorporated, Corning Incorporated, Nippon Electric Glass Co.,Ltd. and Saint-Gobain.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Smartphone and Tablets Applications
4.1.2 Growing Elecronic Display Demand
4.2.1 High Product Cost
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.1 Sapphire Glass
5.1.2 Chemically Strengthened Glass
5.2.1 Smartphones & Tablets
5.2.4 Other Applications
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 ASEAN Countries
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East & Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East & Africa
6.2 Market Share Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AGC Inc. (Asahi Glass)
6.4.2 Corning Incorporated
6.4.3 Crystalwise Technology Inc.
6.4.4 Edmund Optics
6.4.5 Guardian Glass LLC
6.4.6 Kyocera Corporation
6.4.8 Nippon Electric Glass Co.,Ltd.
6.4.9 Rubicon Technology
6.4.11 Schott AG
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- AGC Inc. (Asahi Glass)
- Corning Incorporated
- Crystalwise Technology Inc.
- Edmund Optics
- Guardian Glass LLC
- Kyocera Corporation
- Nippon Electric Glass Co.,Ltd.
- Rubicon Technology
- Schott AG