In 2020, Malaysia’s Total Industry Volume (TIV) dropped 12.4%, compared to 2019, with only 529,434 units being sold. The Passenger Vehicle (PV) segment remained dominant with a 90.8% market share. The sales tax exemption introduced between June and December 2020 spurred the demand for the segment.
Sales of gasoline powertrain grew from 82.6% in 2019 to 84.2% in 2020, driven by the high demand for passenger vehicles in the second half of the year. Passenger cars make up the most popular segment in Malaysia, racking up to 73.5% market share in 2020. Strong demand is driven by the widest variety of models offered in the market at a broader pricing point compared to other segments.
Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) witnesses a drastic growth in 2019, as consumers’ preference shifted from Multipurpose Vehicles (MPVs). However, lower average household income due to the COVID-19 pandemic has brought down consumer purchasing power, resulting in a moderate shift from SUV to much more affordable passenger cars.
Pick-ups consistently led the commercial vehicle segment, although the total sales volume decline for the whole segment, affected by poor economic activity, particularly in the construction industry.
In 2020, passenger eHailing and car rental services witnessed a decline in demand, as social distancing and work-from-home policy became the new norm. This trend is expected to continue in 2021. However, the market will gradually improve as economic activities return to normalcy.
On-demand delivery service is expected to continue its upward trend, fueled by the rise of the eCommerce business model. This shared mobility solution will also have a spillover effect on logistics and transportation services, as operators are diversifying their offerings within the same platform.
The use of personal mobility devices, such as scooters and bicycles, will see a sharp dip, as the government is tightening regulations and banning their use on public roads. These devices will only be utilized recreationally and not as a first- or last-mile option. With challenges surrounding the tourism industry, bike-sharing operators may be forced to cease operation.
Going forward, automotive sales are expected to improve in 2021, with 5.8% growth, fueled by an improvement in the economy, as the Covid-19 vaccine is being made available, new models are being launched, and sales tax exemption is being continued in the first half of the year.
Market preference for passenger vehicles is expected to lean even further toward the SUV subsegment, as exciting new models are being launched in 2021, including Perodua D55L, Nissan Kicks, and Mitsubishi Pajero. In the commercial vehicle segment, the growth of the light commercial vehicle subsegment will be driven by the growth of the eCommerce industry.
The progress of the automotive policy development will continue to be minimal in 2021. The government’s focus will be on overall economic recovery and achieving political stability.
The global pandemic and domestic political turmoil resulted in declining economic growth in 2020, which then affected the sales of new vehicles. These contributing growth disruptions are expected to have a medium-to-long-term effect on the automotive industry. Thus, recovery is expected to be moderate.
The passenger vehicle segment will continue to lead new vehicle sales with more than 90% share. It is expected to grow at 4.2% CAGR between 2020 and 2025. On the other hand, the commercial vehicle segment is expected to record a CAGR of 7.5% within the same period. However, this segment is highly volatile and affected by macroeconomic and political factors.
1. Executive Summary
- Key Highlights of Malaysia’s Automotive Industry
- Challenges Faced by Malaysia’s Automotive Industry Due to COVID-19
- The 2020 Malaysia’s Automotive Industry - Actuals Versus Forecast
- Malaysia’s Automotive Industry Historic and Forecasted Sales
- Top Predictions For 2021
2. The Strategic Imperative
- Why Is It Increasingly Difficult to Grow?
- The Strategic Imperative 8™
- The Impact of the Top Three Strategic Imperatives for the Automotive Industry
- Growth Opportunities Fuel the Growth Pipeline Engine™
3. Growth Environment and Scope - Malaysia’s Automotive Industry
- Research Scope
- Market Segmentation
4. Macro Economic Factors Impacting Automotive Industry
- 2020 Global Economic Highlights
- The 2020 Global Economy: Actuals Versus Forecast
- 2008-2020 GDP Growth
- Top 2021 Global Economic Predictions
- 2021 Scenario Analysis: Quarterly Global Growth
- 2021 Scenario Analysis Assumptions
- 2021 Global GDP Growth Snapshot
- Advanced Economies: Predictions for 2021
- Emerging Economies: Predictions for 2021
- 2021 Growth Opportunities - Top 3 Opportunities By Region
- 2021 Regional Trends - GDP Growth, Economic Risks, and Policy Direction
- Malaysia: Economic Perspective
- Malaysia: Industry Performance
- Malaysia: Economic Stimulus Packages - Mobility Sector Related
- Malaysia: Political Perspective
5. Malaysia’s Passenger and Commercial Vehicle Sales Trends and Outlook, 2021
- Malaysia’s Automotive Industry Snapshot
- Automotive Industry Breakdown by Vehicle Segment
- Leading OEMs and Vehicle Models in Malaysia
- Overview of Policies Related to the Automotive Industry
- Green Technology Master Plan - Policy Framework
- National Automotive Policy 2020 - Policy Framework
- Electric Mobility Blueprint - Policy Framework
- National Biofuel Policy - Policy Framework
- Emission Standard and Fuel Specification
- Key Predictions in 2021 - Malaysia’s Automotive Industry
6. Malaysia’s Electric Vehicle Market and Outlook, 2021
- Key Government Regulations
- Electric Vehicle Market Snapshot
- Electric Vehicle Product Pricing
- Charging Infrastructure Snapshot
- Charging Operators
- Charging Infrastructure Development Plan in Malaysia
- Key Predictions in 2021 - Malaysia’s Electric Vehicle Market
7. Malaysia’s Shared Mobility Market and Outlook, 2021
- Key Government Regulations
- Shared Mobility - Definition
- Car Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading Car Sharing Operators
- Ride Sourcing Market Snapshot
- Ride Sourcing Operators
- Case Study: Service Diversity in Leading eHailing Operator
- Key Predictions in 2021 - Malaysia’s Shared Mobility Market
8. Malaysia’s Connected Mobility Market and Outlook, 2021
- Connected Passenger Vehicle Solutions Snapshot in Malaysia
- Case Study: Connected Mobility Solution in Passenger Vehicle
- Connected Commercial Vehicle Solutions Snapshot in Malaysia
- NAP2020 - Development of Critical Components
- Key Predictions in 2021 - Malaysia’s Connected Mobility Market
9. Key Predictions for 2021
- Key 2021 Automotive Industry Trends
- Prediction 1: Passenger Vehicle Segment to Witness Trajectory Growth in 2021
- Prediction 2: Marginal Growth in Commercial Vehicle Segment
- Prediction 3: Vehicle Production and Assembly to Run at Full Capacity
10. Growth Opportunity Universe, Malaysia’s Automotive Industry
- Growth Opportunity 1: New Product Development For Vehicle Automakers, 2021
- Growth Opportunity 2: Competitive Strategy For Automotive Industry Players, 2021
- Growth Opportunity 3: Strategic Partnering for Automakers and Service Providers, 2021
11. Key Conclusions
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook: Overall Automotive Industry
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook: Connected Mobility Market
- List of Exhibits
- Legal Disclaimer
- Abbreviations And Acronyms Used
- Learn More - Next Steps