This report provides insights into the current state and trends of the pre-used goods market on a global scale, including data points on the top market players, consumer preferences and intentions. The report concludes with key takeaways from the trend for businesses.
Global Secondhand E-Commerce Demand Rises During COVID-19
COVID-19 pandemic and the trend for circular economy drive secondhand E-Commerce in 2021The secondhand sales industry has been on the rise for several years already, as the trend for circular economy and waste reduction appeared. In 2021, the market is attracting even closer attention from both consumers and market players.
Its E-Commerce component, furthermore, is doing even better, as due to the COVID-19 there has been a general trend on shifting shopping online: in a recent survey of eBay sellers, more than seven in ten respondents stated that the practice of selling and buying pre-owned goods became more common in the recent years.
Moreover, according to several surveys conducted in 2020 and cited in this market report, consumers intend to increase their spending on secondhand items in the near future. In the United States, for example, the market value of secondhand apparel, especially online, is forecasted to grow much faster than the overall retail clothing market.
In China, after a boom in 2016, secondhand E-Commerce continues to grow exceptionally fast, with two major players Xianyu and Zhuanzhuan leading the market. On the other side of the world, new much stricter regulations in France against textile waste should have major implications for the new clothing market in the country, and in the whole European Union later.
- This report covers the global B2C and C2C Secondhand E-Commerce and offline market. Some data points on B2B Secondhand Commerce are also included.
- The report covers the current state and trends of the secondhand sales industry in different countries, as well offers an overview of as consumer preferences and demand drivers.
- The following regions/countries were included: the United States, Europe (including Germany and France), and Asia (including China and South Korea).
- The report contains relevant information about regulations, international comparisons, market trends, secondhand E-Commerce adoption rates, consumer preferences, and players. Not all types of information were included for each country, due to varying data availability.
The report starts with a global overview of the current state and market trends of the secondhand industry, including recent activities of some major players, as well as statistics applied to the global scale. Regional chapters follow the global overview and include information on countries’ activities, consumer attitude towards secondhand sales, and other data points. The market report concludes with the key takeaways.
Please note: For this report, the purchase of an Enterprise license allows up to ten worldwide users of an organization access to the report
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Global Market Overview
- Overview of the Current State and Future Trends of the Secondhand Market, May 2021
- Overview of Challenges for Secondhand Commerce Players during COVID-19, May 2021
- Wardrobe Composition, by Channel of Purchase, in % of Secondhand Customers, 2020e & 2023f
- Intent to Spend More/Less in the Next 5 Years on Fashion, by Various Businesses Models, in % of Female Respondents, January 2020
- Planned Changes in Shopping Behavior Towards Fashion Once COVID-19 Restrictions Released, in % of Respondents who
- Ranked the Behavior First or Second Among Planned Changes, June 2020
- Secondhand Market Consumer Profiles, October 2020
- Breakdown of Secondhand Consumer Types, by Secondhand Spending, and by Secondhand and Firsthand Spending, in %, October 2020
- Breakdown of Secondhand Players and Their Positioning in Three Categories, incl. Generalist, Luxury Generalist and Hard Luxury Specialist, September 2020
- Share of eBay Generation Z C2C Sellers Who Said that Buying Pre-Owned Goods Became More Common in 2020, in %, November 2020
- Share of Luxury Consumers Who Prefer Purchasing Luxury Secondhand Items Directly from Luxury Brands, in %, 2020
- Share of Luxury Consumers Who Would Like Brands to Certify Secondhand Items That Are Sold via Resellers, in %, 2020
- Share of Respondents Who Purchased a Luxury Secondhand Item in the Past 12 Months, and Who Consider Purchasing a Luxury Item in the Future, in %, 2020
- Market Value of Secondhand Hard Luxury Items, in EUR billion, and CAGR, in %, 2020e - 2025f
- Breakdown of Secondhand Hard Luxury Sales Channels, incl. Auction Houses, Offline, and Online, in %, 2020
- Breakdown of Secondhand Hard Luxury Items’ Consumers, by Gender, in %, 2020
- Breakdown of Hard Luxury Market Shares, by Regions and Countries, in %, 2020
- Secondhand Luxury Market Entering Models, April 2021
- Share of eBay C2C Sellers Who Also Bought Pre-Owned Goods In the Last 12 Months, in %, November 2020
- Share of eBay C2C Sellers Who Sold Pre-Owned Items Because of the Positive Environmental Impact, in %, November 2020
- Share of eBay C2C Sellers Who Started Selling Pre-Owned Goods in 2020 to Make Extra Cash, in %, November 2020
- Overview of Solutions Against the Excess Merchandise of Retail Brands, August 2020
- Overview of Secondhand Clothing Online Platforms’ Activities during COVID-19, April 2021
3. North America
3.1. United States
- Total Secondhand Market Size, incl. Resale and Traditional Thrift & Donation, in USD billion, and CAGR, in %, 2019 - 2024f
- Market Value of Apparel Retail Sector, and Market Value of the Secondhand Apparel Component, in USD billion, 2020e & 2021f
- Market Value of Online Secondhand Apparel, and Market Value of Offline Secondhand Apparel, in USD billion, 2020e & 2021f
- Share of eBay C2C Sellers Who Said that Buying Pre-Owned Goods Became More Common in Recent Years, in %, November 2020
- Overview of Platforms on the Secondhand E-Commerce Market, May 2021
- eBay’s GMV Sales Growth as Compared to Global, in %, 2013 - 2020
- Estimated Craigslist’s Revenue, in USD million, 2013- 2020
- Overview of Backflip Recommerce Platform, March 2021
- Intend to Buy More Secondhand Fashion Items After COVID-19 Crisis, by Age Group, in % of Consumers, April 2020
- Secondhand Online Market Overview, April 2021
- Shopping Channels for Secondhand Items, in % of Respondents, August 2020
- Top Reasons for Secondhand Online Shopping, in % of Respondents, August 2020
- Online Platforms Used to Buy or Sell Pre-Owned Items, in % of Respondents, September 2020
- Pre-Owned Product Categories Purchased, in % of Respondents, September 2020
- Pre-Owned Product Categories Sold in the Past 12 Months, in % of Respondents, September 2020
- Overview of the New Regulation Against Waste, May 2021
- Secondhand Shopping Channels, in % of Secondhand Shoppers, February 2021
- Total Yearly Budget for Textile, and Yearly Budget for Secondhand Clothing, in EUR, 2019 & 2020e
- Share of Shoppers Who Bought Secondhand Clothes in 2020, and Share of Shoppers Who Sold Secondhand Clothes in 2020, in %, February 2021
- Overview of the Secondhand Retail Market amid COVID-19, and Top 10 Fashion Resellers, by the Number of Visits, in thousands, February 2020
6. Key Takeaways
5.2. South Korea
- Overview of Secondhand E-Commerce Market, May 2021
- Secondhand E-Commerce Market Value, in CNY billion, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, 2015 - 2020
- Top Secondhand E-Commerce Players, by Market Valuation, in CNY billion, December 2020
- Secondhand E-Commerce Number of Users, in millions, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, 2014 - 2020
5.2. South Korea
- Secondhand E-Commerce Market Players Overview, April 2021
- Share of Consumers Who Ever Bought Secondhand Items, and Share of Consumers Who Bought Secondhand Items in The Past Year, in %, October 2020
- Top 3 Pre-Owned Product Categories Purchased, in % of Consumers, October 2020
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- About You
- Alibaba Group
- Eileen Fisher
- Facebook Inc.
- J.C. Penney
- Taylor Stitch
- The RealReal
- Vestiaire Collective
- Vite EnVogue