Super abrasives are special tools utilized for precision grinding. They are known as super abrasives owing to their unparalleled performance, extraordinary hardness, and longevity. The market is majorly driven owing to the conventional abrasives substituted by super abrasives and the use of diamond in grinding wheels for precision & machining tools. However, the high-performance application coupled with high initial cost and the lack of raw material availability & stringent regulations is anticipated to negatively hamper the market growth.
Conventional abrasives substituted by super abrasives
Conventional abrasives include silicon carbide and corundum, among others. They are natural grains usually blended or fuelled with other abrasive grains so that the grinding wheel can perform as required. On the other hand, super abrasives use synthetic or natural diamonds or CBN, a synthetic grain. They have substituted conventional abrasives, as they can run at higher speeds, and their thermal stability is also higher. This also adds to their long life. They also require less dressing as compared to their conventional counterparts due to their durability. For instance, if a manufacturer has 30 to 40 parts per dress with a conventional abrasive, they have 1,200 parts per dress for a CBN abrasive. This makes it ideal for high-volume environments as well. All these factors are expected to positively influence market growth.
Usage of diamond in grinding wheels for machining and precision tools
Diamond is the most used precision tool grinding method for cutting tools which are utilized for making stamping dies, precision machinery components, and injection molds. The diamond is grown on industrial scales to supply the tremendous demand of the metalworking industry globally. These diamonds are also more uniform in shape as well as hardness, as compared to natural diamonds. Furthermore, diamonds are significantly harder than conventional abrasives, such as silicon carbide and aluminum oxide. Such factors are anticipated to fuel growth in super abrasives market.
The global Super Abrasives market is segmented into product, application, and industry.
- Cubic boron nitride (CBN)
- Vitrified CBN
- Electroplated CBN
- Resin Bond CBN
- Metal CBN
- Vitrified Diamond
- Electroplated Diamond
- Resin Bond Diamond
- Metal Diamond
- Tool Grinding
- Other Applications
- Energy (O&G, Mining)
- Electricals & Electronics
- Medical Devices
- Metal Fabrication
- Other Applications
By region, the global Super Abrasives market is divided into Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
The Asia Pacific region accounted for the largest market share of around 45% owing to the increasing demand for super abrasives in emerging economies, such as India and China. Furthermore, precision tooling is a rapidly growing market in India, which is also expected to contribute to market growth.
The North American region is anticipated to witness significant growth due to the presence of major players in the region. Europe and South America are also estimated to grow at considerable growth rates.
Major players in the global Super Abrasives market include Action SuperAbrasive, 3M, Asahi Diamond Industrial Co. Ltd, CarborundumUniversal Ltd, Diametal AG, Element Six (UK) Limited, Finzler, Schrock & Kimmel GmbH, Henan Huanghe Whirlwind Co., Ltd., Husqvarna AB, Hyperion Materials & Technologies, ILJIN DIAMOND CO., LTD, Noritake, Saint-Gobain S.A., SHOWA DENKO K.K., Super Abrasives Inc., and Zhengzhou ZZDM Superabrasives Co., Ltd., among others.
The cumulative market share of the five major players is near about 40.5%. These market players are engaged in partnerships, new product launches, mergers & acquisitions to strengthen their market presence. For instance, in April 2021, Hyperion Material & Technologies completed the acquisition of Crafts Technologies, a manufacturer of high-precision manufacturer of custom-made cemented tungsten carbide solutions. Furthermore, in June 2020, Element Six launched the DNV-B1, a general-purpose chemical vapor deposition quantum grade diamond. This expanded company’s product portfolio.
The global Super Abrasives market report provides insights on the below pointers:
- Market Penetration: Provides comprehensive information on the market offered by the prominent players
- Market Development: The report offers detailed information about lucrative emerging markets and analyzes penetration across mature segments of the markets
- Market Diversification: Provides in-depth information about untapped geographies, recent developments, and investments
- Competitive Landscape Assessment: Mergers & acquisitions, certifications, product launches in the global Super Abrasives market have been provided in this research report. In addition, the report also emphasizes the SWOT analysis of the leading players.
- Product Development & Innovation: The report provides intelligent insights on future technologies, R&D activities, and breakthrough product developments
The global Super Abrasives market report answers questions such as:
- What is the market size and forecast of the Global Super Abrasives Market?
- What are the inhibiting factors and impact of COVID-19 on the Global Super Abrasives Market during the assessment period?
- Which are the products/segments/applications/areas to invest in over the assessment period in the Global Super Abrasives Market?
- What is the competitive strategic window for opportunities in the Global Super Abrasives Market?
- What are the technology trends and regulatory frameworks in the Global Super Abrasives Market?
- What is the market share of the leading players in the Global Super Abrasives Market?
- What modes and strategic moves are considered favorable for entering the Global Super Abrasives Market?
1.1. Research Objective
1.2. Product Overview
1.3. Market Segmentation
Chapter 2. Research Methodology
2.1. Qualitative Research
2.2. Quantitative Research
2.3. Breakdown of Primary Research Respondents, By Region
2.4. Assumption for the Study
2.5. Market Size Estimation
2.6. Data Triangulation
Chapter 3. Executive Summary: Global Super Abrasives Market
Chapter 4. Global Super Abrasives Market Overview
4.1 Cutting Tools Market Outlook
4.2. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3. Market Dynamics and Trends
4.4. Covid-19 Impact Assessment on Market Growth Trend
4.5. Market Growth and Outlook
4.6. Competition Dashboard
Chapter 5. Super Abrasives Market Analysis, By Product
5.1. Key Insights
5.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 6. Super Abrasives Market Analysis, By Application
6.1. Key Insights
6.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 7. Super Abrasives Market Analysis, By Industry
7.1. Key Insights
7.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 8. Super Abrasives Market Analysis, By Region/Country
8.1. Key Insights
8.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 9. North America Super Abrasives Market Analysis
9.1. Key Insights
9.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 10. Europe Super Abrasives Market Analysis
10.1. Key Insights
10.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 11. Asia Pacific Super Abrasives Market Analysis
11.1. Key Insights
11.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 12. Middle East & Africa Super Abrasives Market Analysis
12.1. Key Insights
12.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 13. South America Super Abrasives Market Analysis
13.1. Key Insights
13.2. Market Size and Forecast, 2017 - 2027 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 14. Company Profile (Company Overview, Financial Matrix, Key Product landscape, Key Personnel, Key Competitors, Contact Address, and Business Strategy Outlook) *
14.2. Action SuperAbrasive
14.3. Asahi Diamond Industrial Co. Ltd
14.4. Carborundum Universal Ltd
14.5. Diametal AG
14.6. Element Six (UK) Limited
14.7. Finzler, Schrock & Kimmel GmbH
14.8. Henan Huanghe Whirlwind Co., Ltd.
14.9. Husqvarna AB
14.10. Hyperion Materials & Technologies
14.11. ILJIN DIAMOND CO., LTD
14.13. Saint-Gobain S.A.
14.14. SHOWA DENKO K.K.
14.15. SuperAbrasives Inc.
14.16. Zhengzhou ZZDM Superabrasives Co., Ltd.
14.17. Other Prominent players
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Action SuperAbrasive
- Asahi Diamond Industrial Co. Ltd
- Carborundum Universal Ltd
- Diametal AG
- Element Six (UK) Limited
- Finzler, Schrock & Kimmel GmbH
- Henan Huanghe Whirlwind Co., Ltd.
- Husqvarna AB
- Hyperion Materials & Technologies
- ILJIN DIAMOND CO., LTD
- Saint-Gobain S.A.
- SHOWA DENKO K.K.
- SuperAbrasives Inc.
- Zhengzhou ZZDM Superabrasives Co., Ltd.