Covid-19 Impact on Brazil:
Covid 19 pandemic had an unprecedented impact on Brazil, especially in the first half of 2020 as the per capita infections remained higher than other South American countries. The pandemic weighed on economic activity and the country witnessed negative GDP growth of 4.1% in 2020. The impact of pandemic was felt across the industries however, FMCG and pet care recorded positive growth. The pandemic triggered the need for stimulus packages to revive the economy and the Brazil Ministry of Economy announced stimulus package of USD 150 billion (R$ 750 billion) to abate the economic impacts of Covid-19 pandemic in 2020. Stimulus package helped the economy to record a slower recovery in the second half of 2020 and it continues to gain further momentum in Q1 and Q2 of 2021, with real GDP registering growth of around 1.3% quarter on Quarter in Q1 2021. With the improvement in business sentiment, the pet care industry is showing improved performance in 2021.
Brazil Pet Care Shows Resilience:
Brazil witnessed a growth in pet adoption emanating from increased loneliness during Covid 19 pandemic and lockdown measures. According to our latest Brazil Pet Care Market report, the county has the highest small dog (weighing 20 pounds or less) population with over 102 dogs per 1000 people and the Brazil pet care market recorded positive growth despite headwinds like Covid-19 pandemic and negative GDP growth. With the continuance of work from home, Brazilian pet owners remained closer to their pets and preferred premium products especially dog and cat treats thus helping the treats to register higher year on year (YoY) growth in 2020.
Pet owners in Brazil rushed to stockpiling of dry pet food during global pandemic and smaller pet food companies faced challenges in stock replenishing following supply chain disruptions. Consequently, Brazil government had to notify the entire pet industry as essential services to ease the supply chain disruptions. The country’s strong dog population of around 60 million and pet humanization coupled with continuance of premiumization in pet food will take Brazil pet care industry to USD 11 billion by 2025.
New Product Launches:
Brazil saw around 35 new product launches in dog and cat food category with dog food accounting for around 61% of these launches. In year 2020-21, the country witnessed new launches from Nestle Purina, Mogiana Alimentos, and many new launches from smaller companies as well. For instance, Mogiana Alimentos launched a new premium cat food under the Gaubi Natural brand that contains 66% animal origin high quality protein and 34% vegetables, minerals ingredients.
Global companies Mars and Nestle Purina continue to dominate Brazil pet food market with XX% of value share. Other companies such as Grandfood Industria, Total Alimentos, and Mogiana Alimentos are also important players in Brazil's pet food market. In the year 2021, Nestle launched a new cat food ‘Purina One Visible Nutrition’ in Brazil with the claims of containing real chicken and salmon. The new launch is aimed at cat owners who are keen to feeding premium products to their cats and also address the growing obesity in the cats.
E-retailers Register Strong Growth:
E-retailers witnessed strong growth especially in Q1 and Q2 of 2020 as Brazilian pet owners preferred to purchase their pet supplies from online retailers. With high per capita Covid-19 infections, consumers distanced from large modern retailers like hypermarkets and supermarkets and instead chose local pet shops, thus leading to improved value sales in pet shops as well as in e-retailers. Also, as per our internal survey conducted in Brazil, over 59% of e-shoppers said that they would continue buying their pet food from e-retailers in the post-pandemic period as well.
Brazil Pet Care Market report elaborates the following aspects of pet care market.
- Global Pet Care Market Outlook
- Company market share
- Brazil Pet Care Market size & share by value & volume
- Company market share
- Market size & share by value & volume
- Market Segmentation Analysis- By Category (Dog Food, Cat Food, Cat Litter, Other Pet Food, Pet Healthcare, Pet Dietary Supplements & Other Pet Products)
- Market Segmentation Analysis- By Segment (Dry dog food, wet dog food, dog treats, dry cat food, wet cat food, cat treats)
- Brazil Pet Care Market Dynamics (Drivers & Challenges)
- Brazil Pet Care Market Trends & Developments
- Brazil Pet Care Competitive Landscape
Why You Should Buy This Report?
- To help pet food and other pet products companies in making an informed decision through in-depth knowledge of the market size in value & volume terms, market share, distribution channel share, market drivers, challenges and ongoing industry trends
- To obtain competitive advantage over rivals and to add weight to presentations and marketing material
- To avail 10% customization in the report without any extra charges and get research data or trends added in the report as per the buyer’s specific needs
The publisher triangulates market sizes from multiple secondary sources and primary trade interviews to present the 360-degree view of the industry. Primary research includes 20-30 minutes telephonic discussion with industry leaders in leading pet food companies such as Mars, Nestle, Grandfood Industria, Total Alimentos, Royal Canin, etc. and other pet products companies, investors and industry analysts while secondary research focuses on intensive and extensive search of relevant publications i.e. company annual reports, industry magazines, pet association press releases, public and private institutions’ industry studies, and other proprietary databases.
Table of Contents
1. Product Overview
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Global Pet Care Market Outlook
4.1. Global Pet Care Market Size, By Value & Volume
4.2. Global Pet Food Company Share
5. South America Pet Care Market Outlook
5.1.1. South America Region Share, by Value
5.1.2. South America Pet Care Market Size, By Value & Volume
5.1.3. South America Pet Food Company Share, By Value
6. Brazil Pet Care Market Outlook
6.1. Market size and Forecast, by Value & Volume
6.1.1. Dog Food Category Size, By Value & Volume
18.104.22.168. Dog Food Segment, (Dry dog food, wet dog food, dog treat) By Value & Volume
6.1.2. Cat Food Category Size, By Value & Volume
22.214.171.124. Cat Food Segment, (Dry cat food, wet cat food, cat treat) By Value & Volume
6.1.3. Cat Litter Category Size, By Value
6.1.4. Pet Healthcare Category Size, By Value
6.1.5. Other Pet Food Category Size, By Value
6.1.6. Pet Dietary Supplements Category Size, By Value
6.1.7. Other Pet Products Category Size, By Value
6.2. Pet Food Company Share, by Value
6.3. Pet Care Distribution Channel Share, by Value
7. Brazil Pet Care Market Dynamics
8. Brazil Pet Care Trends, Opportunities & Developments
9. Brazil Pet Care Policy and Regulatory Landscape
10. Brazil Macro Economic Profile
11. Competitive Landscape
11.1. Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda
11.2. Nestlé Brasil Ltda.
11.3. Grandfood Industria e Comercio Ltda
11.4. Total Alimentos S.A.
11.5. Mogiana Alimentos SA
11.6. Royal Canin do Brasil Indústria e Comércio Ltda
11.7. Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos Desidratados Alcon Ltda
11.8. Lupus Desenvolvimento em Alimentos Ltda
11.9. Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
11.10. General Mills (Blue Buffalo Co., Ltd.)
12. Strategic Recommendations
13. About the Publisher & Disclaimer
List of Figures
1. Global Pet Care Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-25F
2. Global Pet Care Market Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes)2013-25F
3. Global Pet Food Company Share, By Value, 2020
4. South America Region Share by Value: 2020 vs 2025
5. South America Country Share by Value: 2020 vs 2025
6. South America Pet Care Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-25F
7. South America Dog & Cat Food Market Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes) 2013-25F
8. South America Pet Food Company Share, By Value, 2020
9. Brazil Dog Population (Million) 2014-2020
10. Brazil Pet Care Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-25F
11. Brazil Dog & Cat Food Market Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes) 2013-25F
12. Brazil Dog Food Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-2025F
13. Brazil Dog Food Market Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes) 2013-2025F
14. Brazil Cat Food Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-2025F
15. Brazil Cat Food Market Size, By Volume (000, Tonnes) 2013-2025F
16. Brazil Cat Litter Market Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
17. Brazil Pet Healthcare Market Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
18. Brazil Other Pet Food Market Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
19. Brazil Pet Dietary Supplements Market Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
20. Brazil Other Pet Products Market Size, By Value (USD Billion) 2013-2025F
21. Brazil Pet Food Company Share, By Value, 2020
22. Brazil Pet Care Distribution Share, By Value, 2013-20
23. Brazil Cat Population, Million, 2013-2020
24. Brazil Per Capita Income, Current USD, 2013-2020
List of Tables
1. Brazil Dog Food Segment Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
2. Brazil Dog Food Segment Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes) 2013-2025F
3. Brazil Cat Food Segment Size, By Value (USD Million) 2013-2025F
4. Brazil Cat Food Segment Size, By Volume (000 Tonnes) 2013-2025F
- General Mills (Blue Buffalo Co., Ltd.)
- Grandfood Industria e Comercio Ltda
- Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
- Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos Desidratados Alcon Ltda
- Lupus Desenvolvimento em Alimentos Ltda
- Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda
- Mogiana Alimentos SA
- Nestlé Brasil Ltda.
- Royal Canin do Brasil Indústria e Comércio Ltda
- Total Alimentos S.A.