Sustainable Biodiesel: Real World Designs, Economics and Applications offers a unique, integrated approach that combines cutting-edge research results and the day-to-day aspects of biodiesel production at the industrial level. The book brings together experienced academics and recognized industry experts to explore the most practical elements of research and discuss limitations and future needs in the industry. Sections discuss biodiesel-based biorefineries, feedstock supply chains, reactor technologies and processes for biodiesel production. In addition, the authors examine biodiesel plants from the point-of-view of design, operation, quality control, lifecycle costing (LCC), life cycle assessment, and environmental and exergetic sustainability, and more.
This book provides both researchers and practitioners in the field of biomass and biofuels with a well-rounded understanding of how the technologies developed in the lab can be deployed in the industry at commercial scale in a sustainable and cost-efficient way.
Table of Contents1. Biodiesel: The fundamentals
2. Biodiesel-based biorefineries: Hierarchy design and implementation
3. Biodiesel feedstocks: Location, location, and location
4. Biodiesel production systems: Real-world reactor technologies and processes
5. Biodiesel plants operation: Prominent parameters, process control, and troubleshooting
6. Quality control in biodiesel production plants
7. Biodiesel purification: Real-world examples, case studies, and current limitations
8. Waste management and valorization in the biodiesel industry
9. Biodiesel plants: Real-world designs and fabrications with real-world case studies
10. Biodiesel plants: Real-world techno-economics, life cycle costing (LCC), case studies of plants failure, and way forward
11. Biodiesel plants: Real-world sustainability (environmental) assessment using LCA, LCIA, etc.
12. Biodiesel plants: Real-world sustainability (exergetic) assessment and social life cycle assessment (SLCA)
13. Advanced fuel formulations containing biodiesel: Techno-economic and policy analysis
14. Future needs of the biodiesel industry: How researchers/academic can help industries