'Governments and regulators in Europe are working in tandem to drive and develop mobile broadband infrastructure and adoption, especially in regards to 5G - with major high-speed broadband coverage targets set across Europe.
The European Commission (EC) has a vision to transform Europe into a Gigabit society and to become a digital single market. The EC’s targets include a 100Mbps broadband coverage across all member states by 2025.
The COVID-19 crisis has put the emphasis on the importance of digital infrastructure - including high-speed, reliable mobile broadband access - and has prompted a number of telcos to accelerate their 5G rollouts. This has also boosted activity in the towerco and tower assets monetisation space. Moreover, the region continued to witness a number of M&A deals over the past year, in support of telcos' growth aspirations.
Mobile broadband development also provides more service bundling and monetization opportunities for telcos - e.g., OTT video, cloud gaming, home office solutions (e.g., UC&C), and smart home services.
It provides an in-depth analysis of the following:
- Section 1: Europe in a Global Context: This section provides a comparison of Europe's macro-economic KPIs, mobile telecoms market size, and trends with other regions.
- Section 2: Competitive Dynamics: This section analyzes the competitive dynamics that have been shaping the European mobile broadband markets over the past few years, including market entries, market exits, consolidations, and M&A activities.
- Section 3: Mobile Broadband Subscription Trends: Provides analysis, historical figures, and forecasts of mobile broadband subscriptions and usage trends in the region as well as their growth drivers.
- Section 4: Mobile Broadband Revenue Trends: Examines changes in the breakdown of overall revenue and ARPU over 2021-2026.
- Section 5: Key findings: A summary of key findings and growth opportunities for Europe's mobile broadband market.
- Mobile subscriptions in Europe will grow at a CAGR of 1.9% over 2021-2026, supported by a rise in M2M/IoT SIMs, smartphone and connected device subscriptions.
- Mobile data will account for 75.6% of the total mobile service revenue in Europe in 2026, up from 62.6% in 2021.
- 5G will generate 38.3% of the total mobile subscriptions in Europe in 2026, up from 4.4% in 2021.
- M2M/IoT subscriptions will grow at a strong CAGR of 8.5% over 2021-2026.
- Between 2021 and 2026, operators in Europe will generate a cumulative US$1.1 trillion in mobile services revenue.
Reasons to Buy
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination through forward-looking analysis of Europe’s mobile broadband markets trends in a concise analytical format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the publisher's Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Europe’s mobile broadband markets.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, with charts and tables boasting presentation quality.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive actionable insights will help operators, equipment vendors, and other telecom industry players better position to seize the growth opportunities in Europe's evolving mobile broadband market.
Table of Contents
- Europe’s mobile broadband markets - key takeaways
- Europe highlights
Section 1: Europe in a global context
- Europe’s main facts - 2021
- Europe’s demographics at a glance
- Europe in a global context
Section 2: Competitive dynamics
- Competitive dynamics in Europe
- Europe’s main competitive market trends
- Mobile services market: Penetration and subscription trends
Section 3: Mobile broadband subscription trends
- Mobile user trends in Europe
- Mobile technology trends in Europe
- Mobile device trends in Europe
- M2M/IoT trends in Europe
- Mobile traffic trends in Europe
Section 4: Mobile broadband revenue trends
- Mobile average revenue per user (ARPU) trends in Europe
- Mobile revenue trends in Europe
Section 5: Key findings and recommendations
- Key findings and recommendations
- Acronyms and definitions
- Companies mentioned
- Related research
- Contact information
List of Figures
- POPULATION, 2021-2026 (MILLIONS)
- NOMINAL GDP, 2021-2026 (US$ TRILLION)
- REAL GDP GROWTH, 2021-2026
- USER PENETRATION, 2021 (% OF POPULATION)
- SUBSCRIPTION PENETRATION, 2021 (% OF POPULATION)
- PREPAID SUBSCRIPTIONS AS A % OF TOTAL SUBSCRIPTIONS
- MONTHLY ARPU, 2021 (US$)
- DATA AS A SHARE OF TOTAL ARPU, 2021 (% OF ARPU)
- MONTHLY VOICE MOU, 2021 (MINUTES/MONTH)
- MAJOR COMPETITIVE CHANGES, 2016-2020
- VNO SUBSCRIPTIONS AND SHARE OF TOTAL MOBILE SUBSCRIPTIONS IN EUROPE, 2019-2025
- SELECT MARKETS IN TERMS OF MVNO MARKET SHARE IN EUROPE, 2021
- MOBILE USER PENETRATION VS. PPP-ADJUSTED GDP PER CAPITA, 2021
- MOBILE USERS, EUROPE, 2021-2026 (MILLIONS)
- MOBILE SUBSCRIPTIONS AND PENETRATION IN EUROPE, 2021-2026
- MOBILE SUBSCRIPTIONS BY TECHNOLOGY GENERATION, 2021-2026
- SELECT MARKETS IN TERMS OF 5G SUBSCRIPTIONS AS A % OF TOTAL SUBSCRIPTIONS, 2026
- MOBILE SUBSCRIPTIONS BY DEVICE TYPE, 2021-2026 (BILLIONS)
- NET ADDITIONS BY DEVICE TYPE, 2021 VS. 2026 (MILLIONS)
- MOBILE HANDSET SUBSCRIPTIONS BY TYPE, 2021-2026 (MILLIONS)
- VODAFONE SMARTPHONE OFFERS IN GERMANY
- M2M/IOT SUBSCRIPTIONS AND REVENUE, 2021-2026
- TELEFONICA’S SELECT M2M/IOT SOLUTIONS IN SPAIN
- TOTAL MOBILE DATA TRAFFIC, 2021 VS. 2026 (PB)
- VODAFONE’S CZECH REPUBLIC PASS,2021
- MOBILE ARPU IN EUROPE (USD), 2021 VS. 2026
- COST OF 1GB OF DATA AS % OF THE TOTAL MONTHLY PPP ADJUSTED GDP PER CAPITA, 2021 (USD)
- MOBILE SERVICE REVENUE BY DEVICE TYPE, 2021 VS. 2026
- FASTEST GROWING MARKETS IN TERMS OF MOBILE SERVICE REVENUE; CAGR 2021-2026
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Aldi Talk
- Altice - SFR
- Bouygues Telecom
- Com Hem
- Euro-Information Telecom
- Liberty Global - UPC
- Magenta Telekom
- O2 UK
- Reglo Mobile
- Sunrise UPC
- United Group
- United Internet