The Saudi Arabia industrial electrical components market was valued at USD 2825.9 million in 2019, and it is anticipated to reach USD 3009.9 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of more than 2.8% during 2021-2026. Saudi Arabia has faced significant consequences due to the COVID-19 pandemic, one being due to the low crude oil prices, which led to decreased export crude oil revenues. The oil revenues accounted for 30%-40% of the country’s GDP, and the disruptions in the supply chain of various operations due to the lockdown and containment measures to curb the virus have further exacerbated the situation. Although the electrical component’s supply chains have been impacted by COVID-19, the power sector has been resilient, which has been relatively less affected as compared to demand shock felt in other countries. Factors such as the increasing investments in the infrastructure sector along with the plans to diminish the reliance on oil for power generation and to diversify the revenue streams are expected to drive the industrial electrical components in Saudi Arabia during the forecast period. However, increasing fiscal deficit compelled the government to reduce public expenditure and delay projects amid low oil prices and production cut, thereby restraining market growth.
- As Saudi Arabia is offering investment opportunities in sectors such as refining, mining, logistics, and energy through its National Industrial Development and Logistics Program (NIDLP), the demand for electric motos and starters segment in these industries is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
- The interconnection projects within the GCC countries, along with countries, such as Jordan and Iraq, plugging into the GCC’s interconnection grid to meet their own supply shortfalls, are expected to create several opportunities for the market players in the coming years.
- With several government initiatives to increase the investments in the infrastructure projects, the industrial electrical components market in Saudi Arabia is expected to be driven during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Electric Motors and Starters Segment Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the major global oil producers, with a production of 11.03 mb/d of crude oil in 2020. Saudi Arabia has maintained high crude oil production levels, despite a drop in global crude oil prices.
- Saudi Arabia continues to increase its oil and gas production, in order to maintain its export commitments. The country has plans to increase its gas production and promote the role of gas in its energy mix in the power and industrial sectors.
- With the economy of the country reliant on oil and gas production, the country invested in the oil and gas midstream and downstream markets for restructuring, modernization, and expansion of existing projects during 2019. For instance, in 2018, the state-owned firm in Saudi Arabia, Saudi Aramco, announced plans to invest more than USD 100 billion on the development of new refining and chemicals projects over the next decade, as the company envisages to balance its business between upstream and downstream operations. This is expected to result in massive augmentation in refinery and petrochemical infrastructure in Saudi Arabia, thus bolstering the demand for electric motors and starters.
- The country's automobile sector is one of the largest in the region, with over 452,544 vehicle sales in 2020. The country is also actively focusing on the usage of electric vehicles. In 2019, Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund invested USD 1.3 billion and acquired majority ownership in California’s EV start-up, Lucid Motors. In August 2020, Lucid Motors broke the 500-mile range barrier from a single charge.
- Saudi Crown Prince Muhammed bin Salman's Vision 2030 plan also includes increasing efforts to create a market for EVs in the country. Overall, the rise of vehicle sales and increasing focus on the integration of EVs are expected to drive the market for electric motors and starters in the automotive sector during the forecast period.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, electric motors and starters segment is expected to dominate the industrial electrical components in Saudi Arabia during the forecast period.
Increasing Investments in Infrastructure Sector to Drive the Market
- In Saudi Arabia, the infrastructure and construction sector is amongst the largest in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region, with high growth expected in upcoming years. In line, with the region’s oil-rich economies, the country’s government emphasized fueling infrastructure and building projects in the country, leading to an increase in demand for industrial electrical components.
- According to the Saudi Industrial Property Authority (MODON), the country plans to increase industrial cities from 22 in 2019 to 40 in the upcoming decade. MODON is overseeing the completion of four industrial cities in Sudair, Al-Kharj, Dammam, and Jeddah.
- Construction activities at the cities of Al-Kharj and Sudair are underway as of September 2020, and investments worth USD 320 million and USD 213.3 million are expected for each project. Other large-scale industrial projects include plans for the Jubail 2 City, which will specifically house petrochemical production infrastructures.
- Moreover, the government invested heavily in expanding the transportation infrastructure through city infrastructure projects, such as the USD 22.5 billion Riyadh Metro and Riyadh Rapid Bus Transit System. Saudi Arabia’s infrastructure and construction industry continues to be driven by the advanced technology of new operating standards, which further leads to rapid growth in smart electrical components, such as monitoring and controlling devices amongst others in the country.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, increasing investments with supportive givernment initiatives in the infrastructure sector in expected to drive the industrial electrical components market in the country during the forecast period.
The Saudi Arabia industrial electrical components market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players include GEDAC Electric Company, TIEPCO, Al-Abdulkarim Holding (AKH) Co., Saudi Power Transformer Company, and Saudi Electric Supply Company Limited (SESCO).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
4.8 Key Projects Information (Existing, in Pipeline, and Upcoming)
4.9 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5.1.1 Power Utility
5.1.2 Oil and Gas
5.1.3 Infrastructure Sector
5.2.3 Electric Motors and Starters
5.2.4 Monitoring and Controlling Devices
5.2.5 Automation (Feeder Automation and Substation Automation)
5.2.6 LED Lighting
5.2.7 Other Components (Switches, MCB, Panelboards, Pushbuttons, Fuses, Sockets, Circuit Breakers, etc.)
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Al-Abdulkarim Holding (AKH) Co.
6.3.2 Saudi Electric Supply Company Limited (SESCO)
6.3.3 Saudi Power Transformer Company
6.3.4 GEDAC Electric Company
6.3.6 Electrical Industries Company (EIC)
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Al-Abdulkarim Holding (AKH) Co.
- Saudi Electric Supply Company Limited (SESCO)
- Saudi Power Transformer Company
- GEDAC Electric Company
- Electrical Industries Company (EIC)