The Latin American aerosol cans market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.1% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The impact of the outbreak of COVID-19 halted the aerosol cans manufacturing due to the sudden lockdown of the countries and shutdown of manufacturing facilities and their operations. It will cause the demand and supply system to be suboptimal and reduce the profit margins. But, in the long run, with businesses restarting normally and e-commerce trends on the rise, the market is expected to rebound. Further, the possibility of airborne transmission in specific circumstances is expected to leverage the demand for aerosol can packaging. This is because the advantage of convenience and accurate dosing without spillage and airtight packaging provided by the aerosol cans eliminates the likelihood of contamination.
- Aerosol cans provide many benefits, such as rigidity, stability, and high barrier properties. In the Latin American region, aerosol cans made up of steel and aluminum are mostly preferred. These materials have significant properties, such as being softer and lightweight, due to which the manufacturers can save costs associated with logistics.
- Additionally, The packaging has increased the value of these cans from aesthetic purposes to value creation to the application of the product for storage, transportation, and ease of use. They are effective packaging solutions that fit all the features related to execution during storage, transportation, and convenience to the consumer.
- Stringent government regulations and standards are responsible for the increased proliferation of metal cans in the region. Heavy consumption of deodorant in Latin America is also responsible for the increase in the growth of the metal aerosol can packaging industry.
- Additionally, aerosol cans enable 360 degrees application and consume 25% less substance for relative area coverage. Furthermore, the fast adaptation of spray paints in the automotive industry for personalization and maintenance purposes has created numerous opportunities for the aerosol cans market in Brazil and Mexico. In addition, spray paints are used as art supplies and as a part of residential painting. The pandemic has forced people to stay at home, which indirectly has encouraged people to take up various renovation activities on their own, including spray paints and conventional painting, which has imparted to the increase in demand for metal aerosol cans.
- Further, increasing investments in infrastructure development and positive economic trends are expected to support the industrial demand over the forecast period. Moreover, owing to the convenience and strength offered by aerosol packaging, aerosol cans have become the standard packaging used in many industries. Besides, constant innovations by the companies in the market and technological developments in packaging are expected to drive market growth.
Key Market Trends
Cosmetic and Personal Care is Expected to Account For Significant Market Share
- Metal cans provide a high-temperature resistance, allowing cosmetic products and personal care products to retain the product quality without compromising on the characteristic loss. The usage of metal aerosol cans in the industry is also dedicated to controlling moisture due to linings. The aerosol cans are used for deodorants, shaving foams, and other cosmetic and personal care products. The airtight aerosol cans are used to retain the product quality, thus providing a longer shelf life.
- Companies manufacturing deodorants are a significant user of metal aerosol cans owing to their ability to retain freshness, extend shelf life, and be lightweight. Like Axe (a Unilever brand), many-body spray manufacturers leverage metal cans for better marketing strategies.
- Further, according to the National Institute of Statistics and Geography(INEGI), in June 2020, sales of spray deodorant produced in Mexico amounted to nearly 5 million units, up from 3.23 million units recorded in April 2020. January was the month with the highest sales volume of Mexican deodorant within the first half of 2020, with a total of 5.52 million units sold.
- Moreover, various key manufacturers of the studied market offer a wide range of products for the region's cosmetic and personal care industry. For instance, Ball Corporation provides aerosol cans in two options, namely one, two, and three-piece cans, and caters to personal care and household packaging, alongside other industries.
- Further, Latin America accounts for a significant share in the market studied, due to the increasing demand from the personal care segment, throughout the leading Latin American economies. Additionally, the higher production demands of deodorants/antiperspirants have led to a rising number of production lines in Mexico over the past few years. Increased personal care spending is the major contributor to this growth.
Brazil Accounts for the Largest Market Share
- The Brazilian automotive sector is driving the aerosol cans market in Brazil. Brazil has a relatively broad customer market base. The automotive industry has spread its wing far across to assembling and making Formula 1 racing cars. The automotive sector is a significant contributing sector to the Brazilian economy. The industry has undergone a considerable transformation with globalization.
- Furthermore, the fast adaptation of spray paints in the automotive industry for personalization and maintenance purposes in Brazil has created numerous opportunities for the growth of the aerosol cans market.
- Moreover, the aerosol can manufacturers in Brazil are focused on packaging everything from food and deodorant to laundry and automotive products. Necked-in steel aerosol cans are incredibly durable and serve as a vehicle for brand owners to enhance their effects on the retail shelf.
- In June 2021, Reckitt has launched their innovative Dupla Proteção aerosol insecticide in Brazil under the SBP brand. Additionally, DCA is delighted to have been involved from the earliest stages of the design and development process of this unique 2 in 1 pest control product. Further, the aerosol incorporates a rotating cap that rapidly selects the best option for targeting different types of insects.
- Further, with the expansion of the personal care industry in Brazil, the demand for aerosols is also expected to increase. The development of the personal care industry is mainly attributed to the rising consumer disposable income, which is enabling them to spend on luxury products. As several personal care products contain aerosols, their increasing sale is likely to benefit the market.
The Latin American aerosol cans market is highly consolidated with a few significant players as the market is price sensitive; hence sustaining in the market is demanding. Further, vendors in the market are driven by sustainability and product enhancements to capture the market share and profitability. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- January 2021 - Ball Metalpack has announced the new aerosol line in the Americas to support customer growth in household cleaning products and spray paint, among others. Further, the company combines underutilized existing can-making assets with the new, state-of-the-art high-speed aerosol can manufacturing equipment, helping to bring the new line into production at a reduced cost and more quickly than if it had been built from scratch.
- August 2020 - Ball Corporation has completed the acquisition of Tubex Aluminium Aerosol packaging that operates in Brazil. The acquisition is expected to expand the company’s aerosol packaging in the Americas and help the group improve financial performance by introducing innovative products to the market.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Growing Demand from the Cosmetic Industry
4.4.2 Recyclability of aerosol cans
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 Increasing Competition from Substitute Packaging
4.6 Market Opportunities
4.6.1 Emerging economies offer high growth potential
6.1.3 Other Materials
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.2.1 Cosmetic and Personal Care (Deodorants/Antiperspirants, Hairsprays, Hair Mousse, and Others)
6.2.4 Paints and Varnishes
6.2.6 Other End-user Industries
6.3 By Country
6.3.4 Rest of Latin America
7.1.1 Crown Holdings inc.
7.1.2 Ball Corporation
7.1.3 CCL Industries
7.1.4 Can-Pack SA
7.1.5 Ardagh Group
7.1.6 Mauser Packaging Solutions
7.1.7 Exal Corporation
7.1.8 Nampak Ltd
7.1.9 Tecnocap SpA