The Middle East and Africa aerosol cans market, is expected to register a CAGR of 3.0% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Due to the COVID-19, the explosive increase in the production of disinfectants worldwide, for example, is also creating unexpected business opportunities for manufacturers of aluminum aerosol cans. The relevance of pharmaceutical products that are indispensable for the patients who use them, such as asthma sprays and other medical care products, really manifests itself during crises like the one at present. Manufacturers of aluminum aerosol cans offer safe, reliable, and easy-to-handle solutions for numerous hygiene and pharmaceutical products that meet the highest hygienic requirements and take clients’ sustainability concepts into account.
- Aerosol cans provide many benefits, such as rigidity, stability, and high barrier properties. They are used to store goods that have a longer shelf life and be transported for long distances. In the MEA region, aerosol cans made up of steel and aluminum are mostly preferred. These materials have significant properties, such as being softer and lightweight, due to which the manufacturers can save costs associated with logistics.
- Furthermore, with the increasing environmental concerns, there has been a preference for aerosol cans over plastic and glass containers, owing to their low environmental impact. The high recyclability of aerosol cans is one of the significant drivers for the market studied in the region. At the same time, economic conditions and the low price of canned goods also remain the key drivers for the market studied.
- The region is also witnessing significant consumption of metals cans, driving the market for aerosol cans. In November 2020, Clean Earth announced its Clean Earth Aerosol Recycling System to process 13 million aerosol cans by the end of 2020.
- Moreover, initiatives by environmental groups and high exposure to social media have resulted in increased awareness among the users in this region, with most of the population now being aware of the environmental impact and willing to take action to counter these issues. Consumers are demanding to package products that cause lower environmental impact. Many users are abandoning plastic usage while the demand for recycled products is growing. This is creating a high demand for metal packaged aerosol can products.
- Further, metal aerosol cans are used for deodorants, shaving foams, and other cosmetic and personal care products. The airtight aerosol cans are used to retain the product quality, thus providing a longer shelf life.
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceutical Sector Accounts for the Largest Market Share
- Aerosol cans are used in pharmaceuticals to pack analgesics, antiseptics, nasal and ear hygiene, vitamin complex, repellents, anesthetics, anti-bacterial sprays, antibiotic ointments, pulmonary sprays, and wound care, among others. The pharmaceuticals industry is marked with various aerosol cans made up of aluminum, steel, and tin.
- Moreover, multiple major key players in the aerosol can industry in the region are indulging in catering to the pharmaceutical industry, with the increased usage of aerosol cans in various medicinal uses, including pain-relieving sprays.
- Further, the increase in bone disorders, arthritis, and joint pain coupled with the increased dependency on home remedies and less preference for rushing to the hospitals due to the COVID 19 pandemic significantly impacted the increase of the usage of pain-relieving sprays in the studied region. The increased demand for sprays characterizes the rise in demand for metal cans for the same packaging.
- For instance, CCL offers pharmaceutical aerosol cans that are compliant with the Government regulations in the region and are formulation compatible alongside offering a long shelf life. The company provides a wide range of sizes, varying from 2 ounces to more than 28 ounces.
- Further, the region is marked with various developments in the pharmaceutical industry and holds a significant market share globally, with major pharmaceutical companies operating from the area. This has indirectly impacted the packaging industry with a considerable focus on aerosol cans.
South Africa Accounts for the Largest Market Share
- Aerosol cans are used for paints and varnishes in spill-proof containers. The cans also provide flexibility in designing due to the characteristic nature of steel and aluminum, allowing innovations for the differentiation of products, among others.
- Moreover, Aerosol cans are used for spray painting, slowly garnering traction in the South African market. Spray paints are used as art supplies and as a part of residential painting. The pandemic has forced people to stay at home, which indirectly has encouraged people to take up various renovation activities on their own, including spray paints and conventional painting, which has imparted to the increase in demand for aerosol cans.
- Further, Aerosol paint cans are used for paints, coatings, adhesives. They have been traditionally used by all sizes of organizations, including small, medium, and large manufacturers in various sizes, with and without linings in South Africa. The aerosol packaging helps in the temperature control of the products alongside offer moisture-resistant and rust-resistant packaging for paints and other dense materials. Advancements in aerosol paint cans include UV-resistant lids that help in the extension of the shelf life of the product.
- For instance, Mauser Packaging Solutions offers aerosol paint cans in South Africa with gray or gold epoxy phenolic linings and optional locking rings to enhance the sealing of the cans. The aerosol paint cans find usage in the construction, industrial chemicals, petrochemicals and lubricants, automotive and paints, and inks and dyes industries.
- Further, Air-refreshers are also packaged in aerosol cans and have gone through significant innovations. With people being forced to restrict movements in their homes, the usage of air-refreshers has taken a surge. Major companies dealing with household products focus on air refreshers, indirectly driving the demand for aerosol cans. The innovation of ‘ball-in-system’ technology attached to the aerosol cans is notable among air refresher manufacturers.
The Middle East and African aerosol cans market is highly consolidated with a few significant players as the market is price sensitive; hence sustaining in the market is demanding. Further, vendors in the market are driven by sustainability and product enhancements to capture the market share and profitability. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- August 2021 - Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC has launched KLOXXADO nasal spray 8mg in a new aerosol can packaging in Saudi Arabia, and it would also be available globally.
- September 2020 - Moroccanoil has launched two new light-as-air sprays in aerosol cans in Morocco that provide up to 50% fuller hair with a 72-hour lift.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Growing Demand from the Cosmetic Industry
4.4.2 Recyclability of aerosol cans
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 Increasing Competition from Substitute Packaging
4.6 Market Opportunities
4.6.1 Emerging economies offer high growth potential
6.1.3 Other Materials
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.2.1 Cosmetic and Personal Care (Deodorants/Antiperspirants, Hairsprays, Hair Mousse, and Others)
6.2.4 Paints and Varnishes
6.2.6 Other End-user Industries
6.3 By Country
6.3.1 United Arab Emirates
6.3.2 Saudi Arabia
6.3.4 South Africa
6.3.8 Rest of the Middle East and Africa
7.1.1 Crown Holdings inc.
7.1.2 Ball Corporation
7.1.3 CCL Industries
7.1.4 Can-Pack SA
7.1.5 Nampak Ltd
7.1.6 Mauser Packaging Solutions
7.1.7 Saudi Can Co. Ltd.
7.1.8 Tecnocap SpA
7.1.9 Saudi Arabian Packaging Industry WLL (SAPIN)
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Crown Holdings inc.
- Ball Corporation
- CCL Industries
- Can-Pack SA
- Nampak Ltd
- Mauser Packaging Solutions
- Saudi Can Co. Ltd.
- Tecnocap SpA
- Saudi Arabian Packaging Industry WLL (SAPIN)