- Total pay-TV subscriptions will fall insignificantly over the 2020-2025 forecast period and remain around 20.9 million in 2025, owing to accelerating cord-cutting trend triggered by proliferation of OTT services in the country.
- Pay-TV household penetration in Japan reached 37.9% in 2020, and will drop marginally over the forecast period to reach 37.3% by the end of 2025, due to the the slight fall in subscriptions in the country and the faster household growth rate.
- Smartphone subscriptions will increase from 119.2 million in 2020 to 130.0 million subscriptions by 2025, with growth driven by operator’s discounted device bundled plans along with easy instalment options.
- Over the 2020-2025 forecast period, television households in Japan will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 0.2%, from 54.6 million in 2020 to 55.0 million in 2025.
- 4G, the leading mobile technology in 2020 with an 74.1% share of total mobile subscriptions, will see its share drop to 41.1% of total mobile subscriptions by 2025, due to subscriber migration to 5G services.
- The three major mobile network operators - NTT Docomo, KDDI and Softbank - accounted for 85.6% of the Japanese mobile market in 2020.
- Residential fixed broadband lines will grow from 36.8 million in 2020 to 38.4 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 0.9%.
Reasons to Buy
- This Sports Broadcasting Media Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the Japanese television and telecommunications markets, and service providers in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the Publisher’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the Japanese pay-TV, SVOD, mobile handset and residential fixed broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 15 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
Table of Contents
- Population and household context
- Television services market
- SVOD services market
- Mobile services market: Handsets
- Fixed broadband services market: Residential
- Competitive landscape
- Data tables
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Amazon Prime Video
- Fuji TV
- Gaora Sports
- J Sports
- Nippon TV
- Sky PerfecTV
- TV Asahi
- TV Tokyo