The market for database automation is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.4% during the forecast period (2020-2025). The increasing volume of data across industries, need to automate redundant database management processes, automated testing solutions and the growing need for faster speed to market are some of the factors that are expected to grow the demand for database automation across industries. However, the need for human intervention when it comes to data modeling and schema generation might hinder growth.
- While some technology professionals are still consumed with routine operations such as backing up, scaling, tuning, monitoring and securing critical information systems, autonomous databases are making these activities less complicated and time-consuming. According to Oracle's cloud prediction for 2020, 90 % of all manual IT operations and data-management tasks will be entirely automated by 2025.
- Modern data pipelines are complex than traditional ones. New data sources like IoT, formats such as unstructured data, and platforms and languages such as Apache Kafka and Python are creating more complex pipelines. Database automation leverages AI and machine learning to provide full, end-to-end automation for provisioning, security, updates, availability, performance, change management, and error prevention and include query optimization, automatic memory management, and storage management to provide a completely self-tuning database.
- Vendors in the market are pricing their products on flexible pay-as-you-go pricing models, which reduces the costs of maintaining on-premises data warehouses. For instance, Kerry EAS, a Logistics, shipping, and logistics company in China, use Oracle's autonomous database. The company reduced the time taken to analyze its 100 million-plus data records from 30 minutes to 10 seconds and significantly reduced IT management costs and increased return on investment by leveraging the pay-as-you-go model.
- The ongoing spread of coronavirus leading to lockdown in various parts of the globe has put the IT teams under tremendous pressure due to increased digital loads on mission-critical applications and databases which has spiked the demand for database automation. In order to acquire more customers during this time of increased demand, the vendors are offering free tools and other offerings at a lower cost. The market is expected to grow at a rapid pace in the long term as data grows across industries.
Key Market Trends
IT and Telecommunication industry is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Telecom is among the sectors with the highest rate of data generation, and companies are offering cloud services mainly oriented to large scale data integration. As the need for cloud is expanding among telecom clients, the partnership between the database automation and telecom companies is becoming a common trend. For instance, Sielte S.P.A. is an Italian Telecommunications company located in Italy opted for Severalnines Cluster Control, a database solution that can operate 24x7 and offered automatic failover and recovery to minimize downtime and ensure a stable service even in the event of a data center going down.
- The increasing demand for applications leveraging machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL) on a gigantic scale is anticipated to increasingly push database automation vendors to establish a more comprehensive array of artificial intelligence (AI). According to the State of Database Deployments in Application Delivery survey conducted by Liquibase, 57% of all application changes require a corresponding database change. Machine learning and deep learning on large, sparse data sets require a data management system that can store terabytes of data and perform fast parallel computations-tasks for which data automation solutions are ideally suited, hence is growing more rapidly in the IT and telecommunications industry.
- Moreover, increasing emphasis on implementing DevOps to automate the development, deployment, documentation, testing, and monitoring processes between software developers and operations engineers for integrating the development and operations processes to synchronize efficiently, validate, manage, and apply database changes is also proliferating the growth of database automation in the industry.
- Furthermore, the increasing adoption of public and private cloud to efficiently manage the humongous data is also leading to an increased need for better and cost-effective database automation solutions. For instance, Oracle Autonomous Database combines the flexibility of the cloud with the power of machine learning. The company claims that the solution can cut down administration costs up to 80% with full automation of operations and tuning and runtime costs up to 90% by billing only for resources needed at any given time.
North America is Expected to Hold Major Share
- The increasing deployment of Big Data solutions by major IT enterprises, to enhance the efficiency and streamline their business operations, is driving the expansion of data centers in corporate offices. Hence, these enterprises, majorly the small and medium enterprises, are adopting the containerized and micro data centers over the conventional data center infrastructures. These trends are expected to augment further the growth of the database automation market in the region, owing to the dominance of the area in technology adoption.
- The region has maintained a continued growth in data center infrastructure solutions, through modular data center investments in tier-2 cities. These investments will enable data center infrastructure management solutions providers to rise. Several efforts have been made by the United States to modernize its infrastructure. For instance, the US Army is planning to invest approximately USD 249 million to deploy private cloud computing services and data centers.
- Moreover, the Government of Canada has a “cloud-first” strategy, whereby cloud services are identified and evaluated as the principal delivery option when initiating information technology investments, initiatives, strategies, and projects. The cloud is also expected to allow the Government of Canada to harness the innovation of private-sector providers to make its information technology more agile.
- Moreover, Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) takes effect at the start of 2020 in California, adding to the need for database compliance. The combination of all these factors indicates that companies will need adaptable, secure, efficient database systems, and simple database management tools and processes.
The database automation market is moderately fragmented owing to the presence of big players in the market and intense competition. The players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships and acquisitions to offer the best solutions to the customers and gain a competitive advantage. Factors such as high investment, presence of established players, and continuously evolving technology are some of the factors acting as barriers for new entrants in the market.
- July 2020 - Oracle announced the availability of Oracle Autonomous Database on Exadata Cloud@Customer. This new offering combines the latest Oracle Database with the fastest Oracle Database platform named Exadata which is delivered as a cloud service in customer datacenters. It eliminates database management and capital expenditures while enabling pay-per-use and elastic consumption of database cloud resources.
- June 2020 - BMC, an IT solutions provider for the Autonomous Digital Enterprise, announced the close of its acquisition of Compuware, a leading provider of mainframe application development, delivery, and performance solutions.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE GLOBAL DATABASE AUTOMATION MARKET?
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Continuously Growing Volumes of Data Across Verticals
4.4.2 Increasing Demand for Automating Repetitive Database Management Processes
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 The Need for Human Involvement
22.214.171.124 Database Patch and Release Automation
126.96.36.199 Application Release Automation
188.8.131.52 Database Test Automation
5.2 Deployment Mode
5.3 Enterprise Size
5.3.1 Large Enterprises
5.3.2 Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
5.4 End-user Industry
5.4.1 Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI)
5.4.2 IT and Telecom
5.4.3 E-commerce and Retail
5.4.5 Government and Defense
5.4.6 Others (Manufacturing, Media and Entertainment)
5.5.1 North America
5.5.3 Asia Pacific
5.5.4 Latin America
5.5.5 Middle East and Africa
6.1.1 Oracle Corporation
6.1.2 BMC Software, Inc.
6.1.3 Amazon Web Services, Inc.
6.1.4 SAP SE
6.1.5 IBM Corporation
6.1.6 IDERA, Inc.
6.1.7 Quest Software Inc.
6.1.9 CA Technologies (Broadcom Inc)
6.1.10 Bryter US Inc