American retailer Kroger owns supermarkets, hypermarkets, superstores, department stores, and jewelry stores across 35 states in the US and the District of Columbia. It has a total of 2,723 grocery stores. By revenue, Kroger is the third-largest general retailer in the US, following Walmart and Amazon.
According to the company's annual report, Kroger registered revenues of $137.9 billion in 2021, up from $132.5 billion in 2020, with its Q4 2021 sales reaching $33.0 million, from $30.7 million in Q4 2020. Its corporate sales, excluding fuel, also increased annually by 3.7% in Q4 2021. Rising inflation for categories such as groceries and meat contributed significantly to the growth in retailer's revenue.
Led by a substantial increase in the demand for groceries and Kroger's expansive online presence, the retailer expects to register growth in 2022. Its ClickList service, which enables customers to shop online and pick up their goods without having to enter the store, was a key factor for the growth in its online traffic.
- Kroger's mass-market positioning attracts diverse customers across all ages and income groups
- Kroger's fresh-product offering and higher price inflation for groceries and meat categories helped drive revenue growth
- With the aid of rising grocery demand and its successful online strategies, Kroger expects its positive trend to continue.
Reasons to Buy
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge on Kroger's business and develop a competitive advantage
- Investigate current trends in the food & grocery market to identify the best opportunities to exploit
- Analysis of key players in the food & grocery market segment in the USA
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Retailer’s Shopper profile
- Food & Grocery shopper profile
- Where US consumers purchase food & grocery
- Retailers used for other categories
- Retailer overview
- Snapshot of proposition
- Sales and market shares
- Food & Grocery market
- Kroger's market share
- Top 10 retailers’ market share
- Kroger's share of shoppers
- Market positioning map
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Dollar General
- Food Lion
- Sam`s Club