In an ever-evolving marketplace, understanding current trends and future growth opportunities is vital to stay ahead of the competition. The skin packaging industry is seeing a surge in demand, powered by increasing disposable income leading to higher consumption of premium quality meat products. Skin packaging not only enhances product preservation, but also offers aesthetic appeal, making it an increasingly popular choice within the food, cosmetics, healthcare, and fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sectors.
With economic growth leading to a rise in spending power and lifestyle upgrades, consumer habits are shifting towards products that offer convenience and longevity, a trend that strongly favours skin packaging solutions. A detailed analysis available in this market report offers crucial insights into these developments, providing key pointers for strategic business decisions. Furthermore, with the introduction of advanced skin packaging technologies and substantial investments in research and development, the market is anticipated to witness significant growth.
This comprehensive market report offers an in-depth analysis of the skin packaging industry, discussing the impact of significant market players' product offerings, potential growth areas, key developments, and the effects of changing consumption patterns. It provides an extensive overview of market segmentation based on material type, end-user, and geographical distribution, providing a granular understanding of market dynamics and future trends. This report can serve as a vital strategic tool for businesses looking to successfully navigate the expanding skin packaging market.
Increasing disposable income among the individuals in the population has led to rising consumption of premium quality red meat and poultry meat products and is driving a surge in the demand for skin packaging, as it is able to increase the shelf life of the products effectively.
The consumption of different types of meat is directly linked to the lifestyle, living standards, and spending power of people, as well as the prices of products. In recent years, the shift in the average income and the rise in the disposable income of people has resulted in increased spending power among the low-income and middle-income populations, thus increasing their propensity to spend on meat and allowing the high-income population to spend more on premium quality meat.
According to the data provided by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the amount of poultry meat consumed globally has increased from 115, 544 thousand tonnes in 2015 to 124,637 thousand tonnes in 2019. The consumption of beef and veal meat increased from 66,488 thousand tonnes in 2015 to 70,479 thousand tonnes in 2019. Therefore, as the consumption of meat is increasing globally, the demand for skin packaging is surging by the food industries and is propelling the market growth over the forecast period.
Increasing demand for products with an increased shelf life among the populationThere has been an increase in the demand for fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) over the past few years, such as cosmetics, processed foods, and OTC medicines among others, as the working-class individuals are getting busier in their corporate lives and working lifestyles. This is causing them to demand ready-to-heat and ready-to-eat foods product which is boosting the growth of the market. Therefore, the demand for skin packaging is rising in the different industries, causing the players to adopt these solutions and thereby contributing to the further augmenting of the market growth over the forecast period.
Major Market Players' Product Offerings in the Skin Packaging MarketThe offering of better and more advanced varieties of skin packaging with enhanced technologies such as quality and durability, among other properties, by existing and new players in different markets is estimated to lead to increased adoption and propel the market growth further over the forecast period.
Some of the examples of product offerings are as follows:
- Dow, which is among the leading companies involved in the provision of products and solutions in a plethora of industries such as automotive, beauty and personal care, food and beverage, healthcare, and packaging, among others, offers a wide range of skin packaging solutions as well in order to cater to the rising demand for such solutions. Some of the products it offers are “SURLYN Ionomers”. This product, which is offered by Dow, Inc., is able to morph into both flexible and rigid packaging solutions according to the needs of the consumers. These products have a set of properties that make them suitable for use in different applications. They have low sealing temperatures, and broad sealing temperature ranges, they have excellent hot tack strength, and show very good adhesion to aluminium. In addition, they show enhanced properties such as resistance to punctures and tears, as well as scratches. They show good thermoformability, among other things.
- CLONDALKIN GROUP, which is among one of the leading companies involved in the provision of high-quality sealing solutions and packing films, offers skin packaging films and products under its portfolio, which is able to cater to different applications in the food segment. Their products are called “Clondalkin Flexible Packaging”. These products are able to facilitate the packaging of the products to be attractive and appealing to the consumer and are able to ensure that n meat fluids prices are leaking after the packing is complete. In addition, they also ensure that opening the film is easier. They are able to package products such as sausages, cold-cut meats, cheese, fish, and premium meat among others, and provide them with an increased shelf life.
- PLASTOPIL, one of the companies that deal in the packing products for different applications, such as dairy, meat, seafood, and fresh produce, among others, features their range of skin packaging films to thermoforming films, under which they offer a range of products with different features. It offers a product called the “Multiform X-Treme”. This product displays a thickness range of around 75-275 microns and is available as either a medium or high barrier option. It also has some special features such as being composed of 8 layers, with an aqua frost clear appearance, excellent forming properties, and a good set of mechanical and optical properties. In addition, it is suitable for pasteurization, and it is suitable for deep freezing up to a temperature of -40°C. It offers some other products such as “Multiform FW”, “Colored Multiform FW”, “Multiform TC”, “Multiform P” and “Multiform NCA”.
In addition, the Asia Pacific region is expected to witness a significant increase in its market share over the forecast period, which is attributable to the fact that there is an increased consumption of meat in countries such as India and increased consumption of seafood and other items in countries such as China, Japan, and Korea. Thus, these factors are contributing to the market share of the region over the forecast period.
- April 2022: PrismiqTM, a digital packaging brand featuring a portfolio of options for design services, digital printing, and smart packaging, was introduced by Sealed Air, a skin packaging company. With the help of their digital printing technology, the company provides touchless automation in both facilities and clients' operations, while also bringing sustainability to packaging.
- April 2021: The release of the PowerPak SKIN.50, the newest development of GEA's SKIN thermoforming packaging technology, was announced by GEA. This enables high-capacity packaging of items up to 100mm high and 50mm above the height of the packing tray for processors of sliced products, meat cuts, sausages, fish, hard cheese, and premium products like premium seafood.
- February 2020: In order to minimize plastic packaging, Toppan Printing, a leader in communication, security, packaging, décor materials, and electronics solutions, will begin providing a new food packaging system called Green Flat. Green Flat can be utilized as an alternative to traditional skin packs and outlines the need to reduce plastic packaging.
Impact of the COVID-19 pandemicThe COVID-19 pandemic to a major slowdown in industrial and commercial activities, owing to the implementation of strict lockdown and social distancing protocols. The increase in infection rates led to a growth in the demand for the skin packaging market from the food and beverage industry. People started to prefer prepackaged food instead of fresh food, in order to decrease contamination and virus spread through food. Moreover, owing to the growing e-commerce trend, the food delivery sector also increased in demand, further driving the skin packaging market. Furthermore, with the relaxation of COVID-19 protocols and the increasing demand for food delivery, the market is anticipated to rise significantly.
By Material Type
- Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)
- Food & Beverage
- North America
- South America
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
What is the estimated value of the Global Skin Packaging Market?
What is the growth rate of the Global Skin Packaging Market?
What is the forecasted size of the Global Skin Packaging Market?
Who are the key companies in the Global Skin Packaging Market?
|No. of Pages||128|
|Forecast Period||2020 - 2027|
| Estimated Market Value ( USD ||$ 10.33 billion|
| Forecasted Market Value ( USD ||$ 14.81 billion|
|Compound Annual Growth Rate||5.2%|
|No. of Companies Mentioned||10|
Table of Contents
1.2. Market Segmentation
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
6.2. Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)
6.3. Food & Beverage
7.2. North America
7.2.1. United States
7.3. South America
7.5. Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124. Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199. United Arab Emirates
7.6. Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52. South Korea
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9.3. WestRock Company
9.4. G.Mondini Spa
9.5. Amcor plc
9.6. Berry Global Inc.
9.7. Sealed Air
- WestRock Company
- G.Mondini Spa
- Amcor plc
- Berry Global Inc.
- Sealed Air