This analysis by Marketdata examines the $34 billion outpatient physical and occupational therapy centers industry. The physical therapy business is highly fragmented, with the 50 largest competitors capturing only 29% of the revenues, which makes it ripe for consolidation.
While there are a few national companies, the industry consists predominantly of small to medium regional providers with annual revenue of slightly over $1 million. This industry is experiencing increased M&A activity from both strategic suitors and private equity investors. Physical therapists work in hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, people’s homes, schools, sports and fitness facilities, work settings, and nursing homes.
This statistical report by Marketdata examines the nature of the industry, national receipts/growth from 2007 to 2025 forecast, industry structure and extensive operating ratios (national and state Census data for establishments and firms), sample profit & loss statement, profit margins, and top companies market share.
Includes a Reference Directory of trade associations, magazines and other information sources.
Note: A Data Pack report is primarily statistical tables and charts, with minimal analyses. The report does not contain competitor profiles or in-depth discussions of industry trends and issues. Rather, it covers the industry structure, $ size/growth, and key operating ratios (national state).
This report contains 42 pages and 28 tables.
Table of Contents
Nature & Structure of the Industry
- Definition and number of physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and audiologists and what they do, who they work for and where.
- Industry structure: key metrics: no. of facilities, receipts, annual payroll, no. of employees, avg. receipts per facility - 2002, 2007, 2012, 2017.
- Sample Profit & Loss Statement for an Average Physical Therapy Center: 2021
- Physical Therapy Industry Snapshot: 2017, 2012, 2007, 2002
- S. Physical Therapy company Gross Profit margins: 2007-2021
- Number of Medicare Non-institutional Providers: 2013-2019
Market Size, Growth, Forecasts
- Estimates of $ industry size and growth published by other research firms (Harris Williams Co. Health Value Group)
- Size / Receipts of Physical Therapy Services from 2007-2019, official government Census 5-year survey data and annual County Business Patterns data
- Marketdata estimates & forecasts of receipts for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2025 F, weighted avg. sales declines & gains for three large PT chains/companies in 2020, 2021
- $ Size of the U.S. Physical Therapy Market: 2007-2025
- Annual Growth Rate of the Physical Therapy Market: 2007-2021
- Forecast Size of the U.S. Physical Therapy Market: 2022, 2025
Industry Economic Operating Ratios
Summary of key industry metrics, NAICS code for the industry, what it includes
- Industry snapshot: 2002, 2007, 2012, 2017: key ratios (payroll, no. estabs., receipts, Avg. receipts per estab.)
- Annual % change in receipts: 2007-2019
Industry ratios (no. of firms, establishments, receipts, payroll as % receipts) by:
- Labor Productivity Ratios: 2007-2019
- Receipts, by Type of Patient Care: 2019
- Legal form of organization -corporations, sole proprietorships, partnerships: of employees) - 2012, 2017
- Single vs. multi-unit operations, by size (statistics as above) - 2012, 2017
- Concentration Ratios: ratios for top 4, 8, 20, 50 largest firms - 2012, 2017
- Receipts size of establishments (under $10,000 to $10+ mill.) - 2012, 2017
- Receipts size of firms (under $100,000 to $100+ mill.) - 2012, 2017
- Ratios, by Employment Size of Establishments: 2019
- No. of establishments, receipts & avg. receipts per establishment, by state: 2016
- No. of establishments, receipts & avg. receipts per establishment, by state - 2019
- List of top 8 competitors and estimated or actual revenues in 2021
- Census Bureau market share for top 50 firms in 2017
- List of physical therapy national/regional trade associations, journals, consulting firms, reports, articles, other key contacts - address & phones, description of activities.