With an estimated CAGR of 5.25%, the worldwide seed market is expected to grow from US$74.928 billion in 2020 to US$107.218 billion by 2027.Global food insecurity is a result of the expanding human population's need for the few natural resources that are now accessible. Along with the growing population, there is an increase in the global need for food, which is also boosting the expansion of the worldwide seed market. Increasing farm acres dedicated to commercial crops (instead of traditional crops), rising prices for agricultural inputs, principally seeds, and a decline in the percentage of arable land are the main drivers of the high demand for seeds on the worldwide market. Another significant reason for the expansion of the seeds market around the world was the globalization of seed trading.
Farmers are more likely to use genetically modified seeds because of the unstable climate and increasing customer demand for food. High R&D costs for quality seeds and subsequent development result in high seed prices, which can impede market expansion.
Widespread use of biotech crops and rising R&D investments to drive the market growthTo safeguard natural resources, biotechnology is being employed to create more nutrient-dense and stress-resistant agricultural varieties. Beyond the major crops like corn, soybeans, cotton, and canola, biotech crops have also been developed for additional crops like alfalfa, sugar beets, papaya, squash, eggplant, potatoes, and apples. Furthermore, rice, bananas, potatoes, wheat, chickpea, pigeon peas, and mustard have all been the subject of biotech crop research by public sector institutions. These crops have a variety of nutritional and economically significant qualities that are advantageous to food producers and consumers in developing nations. The increase in R&D activities for developing novel, customized products is another factor boosting market expansion. The expanding use of biofuels and the quickly rising need for animal feed as a result of rising meat and dairy product consumption worldwide are two more factors that are boosting the demand for various seeds.
By Crop TypeThe global seed market is divided into three segments according to crop types: fruits and vegetables, oilseeds and pulses, and cereals and grains. The growth seed market for this crop type segment is being boosted by the rising cereal production, particularly in Asian nations. The global demand for grains as livestock feed is also increasing due to rising meat consumption and rising sales of various dairy products, which is favorably impacting the cereals and grains seed market.
By GeographyGeographically, the Global Seed market is segmented into North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific Seed market has experienced the highest CAGR in recent years, largely as a result of the demand created by quickly emerging nations like China and India. The region's seeds market is expanding at an accelerated rate due to increased demand for the domestic production of various crops caused by the constantly expanding population. A large portion of the global agricultural business is controlled by North America due to its early adoption of new technologies.
- March 2021: Nuziveedu Seeds was acknowledged as an ICAR testing facility for cotton, maize, pearl millet, sunflower, and rice due to its substantial R&D and seed quality testing skills. In Kompally, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, Nuziveedu Seeds has a cutting-edge R&D facility with fully irrigated research farms covering every agro-climatic zone in the nation. A modern biotechnology laboratory, germplasm banks, and well-equipped greenhouses are all part of the excellent R&D infrastructure. Every year, new product evaluation trials involving roughly 70-80 goods at 160-170 locations are carried out in an effort to find the best product for each designated agroclimatic zone in the nation. The objective of the research is to create hybrids of various crops with greater resistance to pests and diseases, better quality, and broad adaptability by combining new germplasm with contemporary technologies.
- July 2020: The acquisition of Nuvance by Bejo, has been announced with pleasure by Bejo and Zaad Holdings. Prior to June 30th, Nuvance was a division of Zaad Holdings' Klein Karoo Seed Marketing. Bejo is a Dutch family-run business that specializes in the breeding, manufacture, and export of vegetable seed around the world. A reputable supplier of seeds in South Africa with considerable knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa is Nuvance. In order to adapt to these developments, Nuvance and Bejo have a fantastic team in place thanks to their combined experience and resources. Both businesses are certain they can make a substantial contribution to vegetable production by offering the finest quality seed types well-adapted to regional growing circumstances, engaging with growers, sharing agricultural information, and improving logistics. Bejo and Nuvance are dedicated to maintaining the growers' long-term prosperity because they are essential to achieving the aim of African food security.
- HYVIDOTM hybrid barley seeds: For farmers, HYVIDOTM hybrid barley varieties by Syngenta are consistently and significantly increasing output in a variety of soil types and seasons. Under all growth conditions, year after year, HYVIDOTM hybrid barley seed technology reliably produces remarkable barley production outcomes. High Yielding Variety Seeds (HYV seeds) have a high-yielding capability and are resistant to pests and illnesses. These seeds are higher grade and a superior choice for plentiful and balanced crop output. The Indian Green Revolution benefited greatly from the high-producing seed type.
- BrevantTM seeds: Brevant seeds by Corteva Agriscience's winter wheat types include quick emergence, excellent standability, strong disease resistance, and good yields. Winter wheat cultivars with BrevantTM seeds offer quick emergence, excellent standability, strong disease resistance, and good yields. Outstanding production potential under both intense and extensive care, excellent winter survival, above-average stripe rust resistance, good test weight, and Branson-type quality are only a few of the qualities of B654SRW seeds.
- By region
- By region
- By region
By Crop Type
- Fruits and Vegetable
- By Region
- Oilseeds and Pulses
- By region
- Cereals and Grains
- By region
- North America
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
Frequently Asked Questions about the Global Seed Market
What is the estimated value of the Global Seed Market?
The Global Seed Market was estimated to be valued at $74.93 billion in 2020.
What is the growth rate of the Global Seed Market?
The growth rate of the Global Seed Market is 5.2%, with an estimated value of $107.22 billion by 2027.
What is the forecasted size of the Global Seed Market?
The Global Seed Market is estimated to be worth $107.22 billion by 2027.
Who are the key companies in the Global Seed Market?
Key companies in the Global Seed Market include East, West Seed, Syngenta, Bayer AG, Corteva, UPL, Limagrain, Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V. and Enza Zaden.
|No. of Pages||142|
|Forecast Period||2020 - 2027|
| Estimated Market Value ( USD
||USD 74.93 billion|
| Forecasted Market Value ( USD
||USD 107.22 billion|
|Compound Annual Growth Rate||5.2%|
|No. of Companies Mentioned||12|
Table of Contents1. INTRODUCTION
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. COVID-19 Scenario
1.3. Market Definition
1.4. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. GLOBAL SEED MARKET ANALYSIS, BY TYPE
5.1.1. By region
5.2.1. By Region
5.3.1. BY REGION
6. GLOBAL SEED MARKET ANALYSIS, BY CROP TYPE
6.1. Fruits and Vegetables
6.1.1. By region
6.2. Oilseeds and Pulses
6.2.1. By Region
6.3. Cereals and grains
6.3.1. By Region
7. GLOBAL SEED MARKET ANALYSIS, BY GEOGRAPHY
7.2. North America
7.3. South America
7.4.3. United Kingdom
7.5. Middle East and Africa
7.5.1. Saudi Arabia
7.6. Asia Pacific
7.6.4. South Korea
8. COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
8.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
8.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
8.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
8.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
9. COMPANY PROFILES
9.1. East-West Seed
9.3. Bayer AG
9.7. Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
9.8. Bejo Zaden B.V.
9.9. Enza Zaden
9.10. TAKII & CO.,LTD.
9.11. KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
9.12. Sakata Seed America
- East-West Seed
- Bayer AG
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Bejo Zaden B.V.
- Enza Zaden
- TAKII & CO.,LTD.
- KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
- Sakata Seed America