The infant formula market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.04% to reach a market size of US$62.066 billion by 2027, from US$47.027 billion in 2020.The milk formula is usually designed for infants under 12 months, it is prepared for cup feeding from liquid or powder. The demand for milk formula is increasing due to medical conditions that affect either the mother or the baby. According to WHO and UNICEF, more than half of expecting mothers and breastfeeding mothers are influenced by the marketing done by the companies that produce milk formula products, and therefore end up buying those products. The increasing population of newborns is a driving factor for the growth of this market.
Over the projected period, the increasing population of newborns and due to rapid urbanization and modernization, the working parents’ protective nature regarding their child’s food intake are likely to fuel market expansion.Millennial parents are well-versed with the required nutritional requirement for their infants due to information that is available online which creates a healthy atmosphere for gaining knowledge. And therefore, the parents’ focus has been on better nutritional and healthier products for their children. Millennial parents have been demanding plant products as well, as it possesses better nutritional value. Therefore, they also like to have such nutritional value in their kid’s food intake as well.
Many businesses have witnessed potential business opportunities in the online baby food market focusing on the baby formula segment and therefore have settled on e-commerce platforms to establish baby food product stores there itself. Online platforms have been gaining popularity due to various attributes such as easy accessibility, festive offers, and quality assurance. The current parental generation of newborns is majorly working, on online platforms, they find it easier to shop, due to restricted time constraints. Keeping the audience’s preferences in mind, many start-ups are emerging. Online platforms are slowly gaining a significant share of the market.
- In 2020, in China, Danone invested $114 million in the opening of open-science research in Shanghai for the acquisition of infant milk formula. The company’s aim is to develop more relevant nutritional products that focus on mothers’ breast milk.
- UK-based infant formula manufacturer Kendamil has created the country’s first “ready to feed” baby milk formula that contains no fish oil or palm oil. According to the company, the product has a shelf life of 12 months, as compared to others that only offer 9 months. Furthermore, in September 2022, Abbott, a leading brand name in nutrition announced the launch of “Similac GainSchool” which is said to be the first and only milk formula with the PRODI-G Nutrient System. It is an exclusive blend of five different human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs) to support higher IQ, better brain connections, and stronger immunity.
- In August 2022, Danone launched the new Dairy & Plants Blend baby formula to meet parents’ desire for feeding options suitable for flexitarian, vegetarian, and, plant-based diets, while still meeting their baby’s specific nutritional requirements.
- In November 2022, Perrigo announced to expansion of its US infant formula manufacturing capabilities by investing $170 million. It has recently purchased the US and Canadian rights to the Good Start baby formula brand as well as Nestlé’s Gateway infant nutrition plant in Wisconsin. The investment amount will be used for the expansion of the gateway’s production capacity. The expansion of Gateway is the first major initiative for their recently announced ‘Supply Chain Reinvention’ program. It solidifies their long-term manufacturing supply of infant formula in the US and increases the availability of lower-priced and high-quality infant formula to consumers.
- In March 2022, Boobie, an infant formula company, announced that it raised $50 million in a Series B round that was led by Park West. Their new funding round includes $40 million in venture capital and $10 million in inventory debt. The new funding will be used for the production of new formula products. The company will also deepen its partnership with its manufacturing partner Perrigo. Along with this, the company is planning to invest in product development and R&D, which includes the launch of Bobbie Labs, a virtual laboratory that will fund infant feeding research and innovation.
North America is anticipated to hold a significant share during the expected periodThe North American countries- USA, Mexico, and Canada are developed countries. Therefore, they are rapidly modernizing. The families’ disposable income is also increasing as both parents are now working, so their aim is to provide quality products to their children even if they cost them more than normal. The market players in this region are carrying out extensive research and development in order to make mindful investments and launch products that will expand their product offerings. For instance, in November 2020, in Canada, Abbott launched an infant formula- Similac Pro-Advance with 2′-Fucosyllactose Oligosaccharide† (2′-FL†). The company has made a statement that it is the first product in the country that includes 2′-Fucosyllactose Oligosaccharide† (2′-FL†).
By Formula Type
- Cow’s Milk Protein-Based
- Protein Hydrolysate
- Concentrated Liquid
By Distribution Channel
- North America
- South America
- United Kingdom
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
Frequently Asked Questions about the Global Infant Formula Market
What is the estimated value of the Global Infant Formula Market?
The Global Infant Formula Market was estimated to be valued at $47.03 billion in 2020.
What is the growth rate of the Global Infant Formula Market?
The growth rate of the Global Infant Formula Market is 4.0%, with an estimated value of $62.07 billion by 2027.
What is the forecasted size of the Global Infant Formula Market?
The Global Infant Formula Market is estimated to be worth $62.07 billion by 2027.
Who are the key companies in the Global Infant Formula Market?
Key companies in the Global Infant Formula Market include Abbott, Nestlé S.A., Dana Dairy Group, Danone, Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd., Perrigo Company plc, Else Nutrition, Biostime and Mead Johnson & Company, LLC.
|No. of Pages||146|
|Forecast Period||2020 - 2027|
| Estimated Market Value ( USD
||USD 47.03 billion|
| Forecasted Market Value ( USD
||USD 62.07 billion|
|Compound Annual Growth Rate||4.0%|
|No. of Companies Mentioned||10|
Table of Contents1. INTRODUCTION
1.1. Market Overview
1.2. COVID-19 Scenario
1.3. Market Definition
1.4. Market Segmentation
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1. Research Data
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3.1. Research Highlights
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1. Market Drivers
4.2. Market Restraints
4.3. Porter’s Five Force Analysis
4.3.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3. Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4. Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5. Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.4. Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. INFANT FORMULA MARKET BY FORMULA TYPE
5.2. Cow’s Milk Protein-Based
5.4. Protein Hydrolysate
6. INFANT FORMULA MARKET BY FORM
6.3. Concentrated Liquid
7. INFANT FORMULA MARKET BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL
8. INFANT FORMULA MARKET BY GEOGRAPHY
8.2. North America
8.3. South America
8.4.1. United Kingdom
8.5. Middle East and Africa
8.5.1. Saudi Arabia
8.6. Asia Pacific
8.6.4. South Korea
9. COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT AND ANALYSIS
9.1. Major Players and Strategy Analysis
9.2. Emerging Players and Market Lucrativeness
9.3. Mergers, Acquisitions, Agreements, and Collaborations
9.4. Vendor Competitiveness Matrix
10. COMPANY PROFILES
10.2. Nestlé S.A.
10.3. Dana Dairy Group
10.5. Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd.
10.6. Perrigo Company plc
10.7. Else Nutrition
10.9. Juniper Naturals
10.10. Mead Johnson & Company, LLC
- Nestlé S.A.
- Dana Dairy Group
- Ausnutria Dairy Corporation Ltd.
- Perrigo Company plc
- Else Nutrition
- Juniper Naturals
- Mead Johnson & Company, LLC