The Myanmar Rice Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.01%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: In Myanmar, rice is mainly cultivated by open pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives due to low cost seeds, low input requirement, and non-popularity of hybrids.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The fastest growth of hybrids is mainly due to the development of the hybrid varieties by the major companies which are high-yielding and biotic and abiotic stress resistant.
Key Market Trends
Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In Myanmar, hybrid seeds dominated the seed market, holding a share of 62.46% in 2021 in terms of value. Of the hybrid seed segment in Myanmar, hybrid rice accounted for 1.28% in 2021. Globally, Myanmar is the seventh-largest rice producer and has the potential to become one of the largest exporters of rice globally.
- Hybrids have higher productivity, wider adaptability, and a high degree of resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses. For instance, in rice, hybrids give 50% more yield than conventional varieties. The wider adaptability of hybrids is due to their high buffering capacity to environmental fluctuations.
- The demand for organic produce is increasing, primarily due to the health benefits, chemical usage avoidance, and the changing lifestyle and patterns of food consumption among people.
- The non-availability of transgenic varieties for the cultivation of rice in the country, the 100% seed replacement rate for every season, food security concerns due to increasing population, and resistance to biotic and non-biotic stresses are driving the market for non-transgenic hybrids.
- In Myanmar, the open-pollinated varieties seed market is projected to grow by about 1.28% annually during the forecast period due to the low cost, high adaptability to local conditions, low input requirement, and timely non-availability of hybrids in all the crops.
- The Myanmar Rice Seed Project is developing different hybrids, supporting rice cultivars with various inputs, such as high-quality hybrids for rice cultivation in Myanmar. Major hybrid varieties are Paw San - Super Premium, Paw San - Premium, Emata rice/white rice, and Emata rice.
- Hence, due to such factors, hybrids are expected to drive the country’s rice seed market during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe Myanmar Rice Seed Market is moderately consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 58.05%. The major players in this market are Advanta Seeds - UPL, Bayer AG, Dagon Group of Companies, Myanma Awba Group and SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC) (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
188.8.131.52 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Dagon Group of Companies
6.4.4 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.5 Myanma Awba Group
6.4.6 SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC)
6.4.7 Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- Bayer AG
- Dagon Group of Companies
- Groupe Limagrain
- Myanma Awba Group
- SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC)
- Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd