The Philippines Rice Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.39%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: In Philippines, rice is mainly cultivated by open pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives due to low cost of seeds, low input requirement, and non-popularity of hybrids.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The fastest growth of hybrids is expected mainly due to the high yield and commercialization of transgenic golden rice in the country, which have great health benefits.
Key Market Trends
Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In the Philippines, open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives dominated the rice seed market compared to hybrids rice seeds in 2021. They held a share of around 90%, whereas hybrid seeds held 10% in the country.
- Despite government strategies to convert the cultivated land area to hybrid, its penetration rate is very low, and the adoption rate in the country is below 15%.
- Open-pollinated varieties are heavily planted in areas where farmers cannot afford the high cost of hybrid seeds. The main benefit of OPVs is that farmers do not have to buy seeds for subsequent plantings and can save on input costs as these seeds require fewer fertilizers and are less expensive than hybrid seeds.
- Hybrids accounted for 9.9% of the country’s rice seed market value in 2021, which is projected to increase to 11.2% in 2028. The increasing hybrid share is mainly due to the need to increase production to meet the rising demand for consumption in the country.
- The transgenic rice grown commercially in the Philippines is golden rice (GR), which accounted for 3.5% of the country’s hybrid rice seed market in 2021. Golden rice (GR) is a transgenic rice variety that is an effective source of vitamin A.
- The transgenic rice segment is projected to record a CAGR of 8.3% in the Philippines during the forecast period (2022-2028). The high growth rate is mainly due to the rising demand for golden rice, as the Philippines is the first country in the world to grow this variety commercially.
- With increasing efforts from the government to increase the penetration rate, the hybrid rice seed market is anticipated to grow during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe Philippines Rice Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 39.74%. The major players in this market are Bayer AG, Corteva Agriscience, SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC), Syngenta Group and Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
184.108.40.206 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
220.127.116.11 Transgenic Hybrids
18.104.22.168.1 Other Traits
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.4 DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
6.4.5 SeedWorks International Pvt. Ltd
6.4.6 SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC)
6.4.7 Syngenta Group
6.4.8 VIETNAM NATIONAL SEED GROUP (Vinaseed)
6.4.9 Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- Bayer AG
- Corteva Agriscience
- DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
- SeedWorks International Pvt. Ltd
- SL Agritech Corporation (SLAC)
- Syngenta Group
- VIETNAM NATIONAL SEED GROUP (Vinaseed)
- Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd