The Philippines Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.06%
- Largest Segment by Crop Family - Grains & Cereals: In the Philippines, rice is the major staple food crop that occupied a major agricultural area. Also, the increased area under corn cultivation driven the market.
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: It is due to the higher adoption of open pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives in rice, oilseeds and vegetables, which are the major crops cultivated in the country.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop Family - Grains & Cereals: It is due to the increasing area under rice and corn owing to the increasing demnad for consumption, food and feed industries. Also, higher usage of hybrids in corn.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The fastest growth of hybrids is associated with the characteristics such as high yielding, biotic and abiotic stress resistance, high vigor and early beraing in vegetables.
Philippines Seed Market Trends
Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In 2021, open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives had a higher share of the Philippine seed market, accounting for 65.6%. The high share was mainly due to the larger area under rice cultivation (4.2 million hectares), where open-pollinated varieties are most common. Open-pollinated seed varieties require fewer inputs, such as fertilizer and pesticides, and are less expensive than hybrid seeds.
- In 2021, transgenic hybrids accounted for 23.4% of the hybrid seed market due to their higher productivity, wider adaptability, high degree of resistance to insects, and herbicide-tolerant characteristics.
- In the Philippines, out of the total market value of open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives, row crops accounted for 96.4% of the market share in 2021. The high share was due to the increased area under cultivation and the large quantity of seed requirement per unit area for sowing.
- The hybrid seed segment is expected to be the fastest-growing seed segment during the forecast period (2022-2028), registering an annual growth rate of 5.3%. The growth rate is associated with the high productivity of hybrids and the adoption of transgenic hybrids.
- In the Philippines, the adoption of hybrids and improved open-pollinated varieties resulted in many advantages, such as self-sufficiency in production, improvement in the quality of agricultural products, stability in production, high export potential, etc. Therefore, these factors are anticipated to help drive the seed market's growth during the forecast period.
Philippines Seed Market Competitive AnalysisThe Philippines Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 20.76%. The major players in this market are Allied Botanical Corporation, Bayer AG, Corteva Agriscience, East-West Seed and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
220.127.116.11 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
18.104.22.168 Transgenic Hybrids
22.214.171.124.1 Herbicide Tolerant
126.96.36.199.2 Other Traits
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3 Crop Type
5.3.1 Row Crops
188.8.131.52 Fiber Crops
184.108.40.206.2 Other Fiber Crops
220.127.116.11 Forage Crops
18.104.22.168.2 Forage Corn
22.214.171.124.3 Forage Sorghum
126.96.36.199.4 Other Forage Crops
188.8.131.52 Grains & Cereals
184.108.40.206.2 Other Oilseeds
220.127.116.11.3 Cauliflower & Broccoli
18.104.22.168.4 Other Brassicas
22.214.171.124.1 Cucumber & Gherkin
126.96.36.199.2 Pumpkin & Squash
188.8.131.52.3 Other Cucurbits
184.108.40.206 Roots & Bulbs
220.127.116.11.4 Other Roots & Bulbs
18.104.22.168.4 Other Solanaceae
22.214.171.124 Unclassified Vegetables
126.96.36.199.6 Other Unclassified Vegetables
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Allied Botanical Corporation
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group)
6.4.4 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.5 DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
6.4.6 East-West Seed
6.4.7 Harbest Agribusiness Corporation
6.4.8 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.9 SeedWorks International Pvt. Ltd
6.4.10 Syngenta Group
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Allied Botanical Corporation
- Bayer AG
- Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group)
- Corteva Agriscience
- DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
- East-West Seed
- Harbest Agribusiness Corporation
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- SeedWorks International Pvt. Ltd
- Syngenta Group