The Thailand Vegetable Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.02%
- Largest Segment by Crop Family - Unclassified Vegetables: It is the largest segment due to an increase in the consumption of leafy vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, etc., and growth of protected cultivation of leafy vegetables.
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The high share of hybrids is associated with the increasing area under hybrids, the comparatively higher seed replacement, high yielding, and disease resistance.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop Family - Brassicas: In Thailand, cabbage is one of the major vegetable crops. The fastest growth is due to the short cropping season of brassicas and adaptability to wider growing environments.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: Due to the inherent characteristics such as high vigor, resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses, high yielding, and early bearing, the hybrid segment is growing fastest.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In 2021, hybrids’ share was more than the open-pollinated varieties in Thailand’s vegetable seed market. The demand for hybrid seeds is high due to benefits such as drought tolerance, adaptability to different soils, and higher yield than open-pollinated seed varieties.
- In protected cultivation, the share of hybrid seeds is 100% because OPVs cannot be used in protected cultivation due to limitations such as low yields, late maturity, and inferior type. Therefore, an increase in the area under protected cultivation drives the demand for hybrids in the country.
- In 2021, hybrids accounted for 89.0% of the vegetable seed market value in Thailand. The increase in awareness about the advantages of hybrids, such as early bearing, disease resistance, high yielding, etc., is responsible for increased hybrid usage in the country.
- In 2021, the hybrids under protected cultivation accounted for 0.3% of the market value. The low share is due to the requirement of high initial investments for protected cultivation. During the forecast period (2022-2028), the hybrid seeds market value under protected cultivation is projected to grow 6.8% annually due to the year-round demand for vegetables and government support for protected cultivation.
- Open-pollinated varieties require fewer inputs, such as fertilizer and pesticides, and are less expensive and more affordable for low-income farmers. Therefore, during the forecast period, the open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives segment is projected to grow with an annual growth rate of 4.4%.
- Due to the development of hybrids and improved open-pollinated varieties, agricultural production increased in the country. Thus, the demand for commercial seeds is expected to increase during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe Thailand Vegetable Seed Market is moderately consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 47.32%. The major players in this market are Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group), Enza zaden, Groupe Limagrain, Known You Seed Co., LTD and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3 Crop Family
220.127.116.11 Cauliflower & Broccoli
18.104.22.168 Other Brassicas
22.214.171.124 Cucumber & Gherkin
126.96.36.199 Pumpkin & Squash
188.8.131.52 Other Cucurbits
5.3.3 Roots & Bulbs
184.108.40.206 Other Roots & Bulbs
220.127.116.11 Other Solanaceae
5.3.5 Unclassified Vegetables
18.104.22.168 Other Unclassified Vegetables
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Acsen HyVeg Pvt Ltd.
6.4.2 Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group)
6.4.3 East-West Seed
6.4.4 Enza zaden
6.4.5 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.6 Known You Seed Co., LTD
6.4.7 Lion Seeds Co., Ltd.
6.4.8 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.9 Syngenta Group
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Acsen HyVeg Pvt Ltd.
- Charoen Pokphand Group (C.P. Group)
- East-West Seed
- Enza zaden
- Groupe Limagrain
- Known You Seed Co., LTD
- Lion Seeds Co., Ltd.
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Syngenta Group