The United States Fertilizers Market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.15%
- Fastest growing segment by Product - DAP: DAP is an important phosphatic fertilizer in the country with a consumption of 1.9 million metric tons in 2021. Corn, cotton and soybean are the largest DAP consuming crops.
- Largest Segment by Crop Type - Field Crops: Field crops dominate the fertilizers market in the US due to the large cultivation area in the country. Field crops account for more than 95% of the total crop area.
- Fastest growing by Speciality Type - SRF: The SRF are safe to the soil and environment as they precisely release the nutrients in to the soil throughout the cropping season and thus reduce the leaching of nutrients.
- Largest segment by Application Mode - Soil: Soil application is an easy method of fertilizer application and can be applied without equipment. This fertilizer application method improves plant health and soil fertility.
US Fertilizers Market Trends
Field Crops is the largest segment by Crop Type.
- Field crops have shown a major share in the US fertilizer market, as field crops accounted for more than 78.0% of total farmland in the country in 2021.
- Horticulture production occurs primarily in 10 states, which accounted for 66.0% of all US horticulture sales in 2019. California, Florida, and Oregon led the country's sales. Conventional fertilizers occupied a maximum share in horticultural crops, with a 58.5% market share in 2021, followed by specialty fertilizers with 41.4%. The higher share of conventional fertilizers is due to the higher adaption by the farmers and their lower prices compared to specialty fertilizers.
- The higher demand for phosphate and potash fertilizers is attributed to the increased consumption of fruits and vegetables in the past decade in the country. Nitrogen fertilizers have the largest share in the US fertilizer market due to the production of cereals, such as corn and wheat, in the country.
- The application of nitrogen fertilizer is proportional to cereal yields. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the country expanded the farmlands to plant 94.0 million acres of corn and 85.0 million acres of soybeans, which resulted in greater consumption of nitrogenous fertilizers in 2021, supporting the domestic crop production in the country.
- The US population is increasing at a rapid rate, with 330.0 million in 2020, which is adding to the rising food demand. Hence, there is a need to increase agricultural productivity to supply food to the growing population. According to the World Bank, arable land (percentage of land area) in the United States was around 17.2% of the total land in 2018.
US Fertilizers Market Competitive AnalysisThe United States Fertilizers Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 99.31%. The major players in this market are CF Industries Holdings, Inc., Koch Industries Inc., Nutrien Ltd., The Mosaic Co. and Wilbur-Ellis Company LLC (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Acreage Of Major Crop Types
4.2 Average Nutrient Application Rates
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
22.214.171.124.1 Ammonium Nitrate
126.96.36.199.2 Anhydrous Ammonia
188.8.131.52 Secondary Macronutrients
184.108.40.206 Liquid Fertilizer
220.127.116.11 Water Soluble
5.3 Application Mode
5.4 Crop Type
5.4.1 Field Crops
5.4.2 Horticultural Crops
5.4.3 Turf & Ornamental
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 CF Industries Holdings, Inc.
6.4.2 Haifa Group Ltd
6.4.3 ICL Fertilizers
6.4.4 Koch Industries Inc.
6.4.5 Nutrien Ltd.
6.4.6 Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile SA
6.4.7 The Andersons Inc.,
6.4.8 The Mosaic Co.
6.4.9 Wilbur-Ellis Company LLC
6.4.10 Yara International ASA
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR FERTILIZER CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Market Dynamics (DROs)
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- CF Industries Holdings, Inc.
- Haifa Group Ltd
- ICL Fertilizers
- Koch Industries Inc.
- Nutrien Ltd.
- Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile SA
- The Andersons Inc.,
- The Mosaic Co.
- Wilbur-Ellis Company LLC
- Yara International ASA