The Russia Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.82%
- Largest Segment by Crop Family - Grains & Cereals: Russia is one of the major producers of wheat. An increase in the area under wheat cultivation, favorable climatic conditions, and high export demand fueled the market.
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The high share of hybrids is associated with the increasing area under hybrids, the comparatively higher seed replacement, high yielding, and disease resistance.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop Family - Brassicas: Russia is the largest producer of cabbage in Europe. The fastest growth is due to the short cropping season of brassicas and adaptability to wider growing environments.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: Due to the inherent characteristics such as high vigor, resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses, high yielding and uniform maturity, the hybrid segment is growing fastest.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- The hybrid seed segment occupies a major share of the Russian seed market because most Russian farmers use hybrids for vegetables and row crops to increase production and yield.
- In row crops, open-pollinated varieties and vegetables account for 28.2% and 20.2%, respectively, of the Russian seed market as of 2022. The increase in protected farming of vegetables and the rising usage of hybrids are resulting in a decrease in open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives in vegetables.
- Under hybrids, corn occupied a 42% market share in 2021 due to a large area being cultivated with hybrid seeds. The continuous expansion of the planting area under these crops is fueling the growth of the market.
- In vegetable seeds, the hybrid segment accounted for a 39% share in 2021, in which Solanaceae accounted for 34%.
- The yield of some major crops in Russia is significantly decreasing. Diseases, unfavorable environments, and drought in some parts of the country caused massive reductions in crop yields in a few years. Sorghum yield accounted for 10,583 hg/ha in 2020, a decrease of 19% from the previous year.
- To compensate for yield losses in the future, Russian farmers need to make full use of the available potential for adaptation. This includes selecting varieties that are more robust, high yielding, and adaptable to local conditions.
- Non-transgenic hybrids in the hybrid segment dominate the market because of the ban on GMO crops in the country. The demand for non-transgenic seeds in the hybrid segment is expected to increase, registering a CAGR of 5% during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe Russia Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 27.64%. The major players in this market are BASF SE, Bayer AG, Corteva Agriscience, Groupe Limagrain and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
188.8.131.52 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3 Crop Type
5.3.1 Row Crops
184.108.40.206 Fiber Crops
220.127.116.11.2 Other Fiber Crops
18.104.22.168 Forage Crops
22.214.171.124.2 Forage Corn
126.96.36.199.3 Forage Sorghum
188.8.131.52.4 Other Forage Crops
184.108.40.206 Grains & Cereals
220.127.116.11.5 Other Grains & Cereals
18.104.22.168.1 Canola, Rapeseed & Mustard
22.214.171.124.4 Other Oilseeds
126.96.36.199.3 Cauliflower & Broccoli
188.8.131.52.4 Other Brassicas
184.108.40.206.1 Cucumber & Gherkin
220.127.116.11.2 Pumpkin & Squash
18.104.22.168.3 Other Cucurbits
22.214.171.124 Roots & Bulbs
126.96.36.199.4 Other Roots & Bulbs
188.8.131.52.3 Other Solanaceae
184.108.40.206 Unclassified Vegetables
220.127.116.11.4 Other Unclassified Vegetables
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.5 Enza Zaden
6.4.6 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.7 KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
6.4.8 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.9 Sakata Seeds Corporation
6.4.10 Syngenta Group
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Corteva Agriscience
- Enza Zaden
- Groupe Limagrain
- KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Sakata Seeds Corporation
- Syngenta Group