The Asia-pacific Tomato Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.30%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The major companies are developing new hybrids and the adoption of hybrids is high due to disease-resistant, increased shelf life, high yield, and wider adaptability.
- Largest Segment by Country - China: The largest producer of tomatoes in the globe with the highest area under cultivation. The high export potential and demand from processing industries encouraged production.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: Tomato is a self-pollinating crop that does not require isolation distance for seed production which makes it easier. The low prices are also one of the major reasons.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Country - Bangladesh: It is an emerging market for tomato seeds due to an increase in the area under cultivation, the development of off-season varieties and cultivation throughout the country.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In Asia-Pacific, hybrid seeds dominate the tomato seed market in terms of both volume and value compared to open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives. In 2021, hybrid tomato seeds held 65% of the share value in the total tomato seed market.
- In 2021, China was the largest country in the region, holding more than 63% share value in the tomato hybrid seed market, followed by India with a 9.8% share value in the market. This is mainly due to the increased yields in cultivating hybrid seeds.
- Hybrids with disease resistance and other quality traits were in great demand in the region as it prevents incurring yield losses and fetches good prices in the market. Hybrids with multi-disease-resistant varieties are largely preferred.
- In 2021, open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives of tomato seeds held 35% of the market share in the region. These are the local seeds specific to the region, having low yield characteristics compared to hybrids.
- About 80% of the tomatoes grown in India are consumed fresh, and 20% are used in the processing industry. As a result, the production of hybrid varieties with sweetness, tastes, and high nutrient content is high in the country.
- Similarly, with increased health awareness in the region, the demand for organic vegetables, especially tomatoes, has increased. Therefore, the consumption of OPV is expected to increase during the forecast period.
- The increased protected cultivation practices in the region, the increase in the processing industry usage of tomatoes, and the increased organic farming acreage are major drivers for both hybrids and OPVs in the region.
China is the largest segment by Country.
- In 2021, the Asia-Pacific region had a major share because the area under tomato cultivation accounted for 47.3% of the global area under tomato cultivation. Thus, a larger area under tomato cultivation is expected to increase the sales of the seeds during the forecast period.
- China is the largest country in the world with respect to the tomato seed market, accounting for 24% of the global tomato seed market. This is owing to the increase in hybrids availability, and most of the tomatoes are grown in greenhouses, which accounted for more than 50% of China's total national tomato production in 2021.
- In India, the protected cultivation of tomatoes accounted for only 6% of the total tomato seed market in 2021, which was expected to grow faster than the open-field cultivation of tomatoes. For instance, the CAGR of the protected cultivation tomato seed market is 7%, whereas the open-field cultivation is expected to be 5% during the forecast period.
- In Pakistan, tomatoes occupied 22.4% of the vegetable seed market value in 2021. Sindh is the major tomato-producing state, accounting for 45% of the total area. Tomato is mainly grown by small land-holding farmers in Pakistan. It offers relatively better profits to growers and generates employment opportunities for rural people. Therefore, these factors will help in increasing the area under cultivation, expecting to drive the seed market.
- In Indonesia, innovative seed varieties are being developed by domestic and global players in the country, which have significantly supported the market revenues in the recent past. For instance, East-West Seed Indonesia launched OPTIMA F1 and ULTIMA F1, which strengthens their presence in the country.
- Thus, the increasing adoption of commercial seeds and expansion of planting area under tomatoes is driving the growth of the market.
Competitive LandscapeThe Asia-pacific Tomato Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 26.86%. The major players in this market are Bayer AG, Groupe Limagrain, Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V., Sakata Seeds Corporation and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3.12 Rest Of Asia-Pacific
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 BASF SE
6.4.3 Bayer AG
6.4.4 Bejo Zaden B.V.
6.4.5 East-West Seed
6.4.6 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.7 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.8 Sakata Seeds Corporation
6.4.9 Syngenta Group
6.4.10 Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Bejo Zaden B.V.
- East-West Seed
- Groupe Limagrain
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Sakata Seeds Corporation
- Syngenta Group
- Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd