The Asia-pacific Forage Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.88%
- Largest Segment by Crop - Forage Corn: There has been an increase in forage corn demand from dairy farmers and the government of China and Japan is supporting to increase the production of forage corn.
- Largest Segment by Country - India: The country is the largest consumer of Forage Crops as feed for the animals and research activities to provide growers with better varieties have been conducted by ICAR.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop - Alfalfa: The segment is the fastest growing in the Asia-Pacific region due to an increase in the demand for animal feed, high protein content, and availability of high-quality seeds.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Country - Vietnam: The increase in the cultivation of Forage Cropss is due to the increasing demand for feed by dairy farmers as the population of cattle has increased.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In Asia-Pacific, hybrid seeds dominate the forage seed market in terms of volume and value compared to open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives. In 2021, hybrid forage seeds held 82.3% of the total forage market share value.
- In the hybrid seed segment, non-transgenic hybrid seeds dominated the market with more than 99% of the share value in the region in 2021. This is mainly due to the large use of non-transgenic seeds compared to GMO seeds due to the perceived effects of transgenic traits on livestock and animal health.
- Among the countries in 2021, India was the fastest-growing in non-transgenic forage seed production. It held a 28.7% share value in total hybrid forage seeds because of the country's increased livestock population and domestic demand.
- In 2021, among the non-transgenic hybrid seeds, forage corn was the major crop, holding 74.7% share value in the market, followed by alfalfa with 9% and other forage crops. Due to huge demand, the forage corn seed market is expected to grow in the forecast period.
- In 2021, open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives of forage seeds held approximately 21.4% share value in the market. Alfalfa leads the segment by accounting for 45% of OPV in the region. India is the fastest-growing country that holds a 37% share of the region. The lower share compared to hybrids is mainly due to low productivity.
- Therefore, non-transgenic forage seeds under hybrid seeds dominate the market. With the aforementioned facts, the market is anticipated to grow during the forecast period.
India is the largest segment by Country.
- In 2021, the Asia-Pacific region accounted for 16% share value of the total global forage seed market. The market has increased by 26% from 2016 to 2021 due to the increased demand for forage as feed and the increased livestock population.
- India is the largest consumer of forage seeds and holds a market share value of 30% in the region. This is mainly due to the increased cultivation because of the rising demand from the feed industry.
- In India, forage corn is the major crop consumed, holding a 21.7% share value of the total Asia-Pacific forage seed market. The great demand is due to the high production area and increased cattle population. For instance, according to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), the cattle population increased from 300 million stocks in 2016 to 304 million stocks in 2020. It is mainly due to the increased demand for dairy and meat products.
- In 2021, apart from India, other countries like Japan and Southeast Asian countries held the maximum market share value in the region with 28.8% and 20.6%, respectively.
- In Japan, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MAFF) has set a goal of increasing forage self-sufficiency from 77% to 100% by 2030. To support forage production in the country, MAFF provides support payments to growers who plant forage and feed crops. Therefore, the demand for seeds is expected to rise in the country during the coming years.
- Therefore, owing to the above factors, such as the support of the government to increase production and increasing adoption of commercial seeds, the demand for forage seeds is expected to increase in the region during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe Asia-pacific Forage Seed Market is moderately consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 58.27%. The major players in this market are Advanta Seeds - UPL, Bayer AG, Corteva Agriscience, PGG Wrightson Seeds (DLF) and Royal Barenbrug Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
184.108.40.206 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
220.127.116.11 Transgenic Hybrids
18.104.22.168.1 Herbicide Tolerant
22.214.171.124.2 Other Traits
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2.2 Forage Corn
5.2.3 Forage Sorghum
5.2.4 Other Forage Crops
5.3.12 Rest Of Asia-Pacific
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 Ampac Seed Company
6.4.3 Bayer AG
6.4.4 Cates Grain and Seeds Ltd
6.4.5 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.6 Forage Genetics International, LLC (Land O’Lakes, Inc.)
6.4.7 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.8 Northstar Seed Ltd.
6.4.9 PGG Wrightson Seeds (DLF)
6.4.10 Royal Barenbrug Group
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- Ampac Seed Company
- Bayer AG
- Cates Grain and Seeds Ltd
- Corteva Agriscience
- Forage Genetics International, LLC (Land O’Lakes, Inc.)
- Groupe Limagrain
- Northstar Seed Ltd.
- PGG Wrightson Seeds (DLF)
- Royal Barenbrug Group