The North America Tomato Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.11%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The major companies are developing new hybrids and the adoption of hybrids is high due to disease-resistant, increased shelf life, high yield, and wider adaptability.
- Largest Segment by Country - United States: The United States has a high adoption rate of hybrid seeds, 10th largest exporter of tomatoes to other countries, and has new technology innovations available in the country.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: These seeds are used by growers as they are cost-effective and demand from the local markets, and for fresh market utilization as tomatoes produced have good taste and color.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Country - Canada: The demand for tomato seeds increased because of the increase in the consumption of tomatoes, demand by processing industries, and increase in protected cultivation.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- North America held the second-largest tomato seed market in the world, with 21.4% of the global seed market in terms of value in 2021. The United States and Mexico are the largest tomato-producing countries in the region.
- In North America, the United States is the larger consumer in the region. The tomato hybrid seed consumption in the country increased to 14.1% during 2016-2021.
- Hybrid tomatoes accounted for 89.6% of the North American tomato seed market, and open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives accounted for 10.3% of the North American tomato seed market in 2021.
- Hybrids accounted for more acreage due to the characteristics that hybrids provide, which include disease resistance, increased shelf life, wider adaptability, high yield, strong stem, crack resistance, and high vigor, which fetch more prices for the growers.
- The major companies are developing new hybrids with disease-resistant traits, increasing shelf life, wider adaptability, high yield, strong stem, crack resistance, and high vigor. These are the traits popular among the farmers, which fetch higher prices in the market.
- Except for Canada, North American countries are growing at a higher rate in terms of open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives usage in tomato production because of Canada's climatic and environmental conditions. They had to use more inputs and required high maintenance to cultivate using OPV seeds.
- However, the increased protected cultivation practices in the region, the increase in the processing industry usage of tomatoes, and the increased organic farming acreage are major drivers for both hybrids and OPVs in the region.
United States is the largest segment by Country.
- Tomato is the most important vegetable crop, grown extensively in tropical and subtropical climates. It is the most widely grown and consumed vegetable in the region.
- In 2021, the United States accounted for 11.2% of the global tomato seed market due to the high usage of hybrid seeds, export to other countries, and new technology innovations in the country.
- The cultivated area for tomatoes decreased from 2016 to 2021 due to an increase in the use of hybrid seeds, and it increased the yield from 2016 to 2021 by about 21%.
- For instance, in 2021, Bowery Farming in the United States received a grant of USD 300 million, and it announced the use of the funds to accelerate the expansion of indoor farms and introduce vegetables, including hydroponic tomatoes, to the US market.
- In Mexico, tomatoes accounted for 50.0% of total crops grown under protected cultivation in Mexico in 2021. Thus, the demand for hybrid seeds for protected cultivation is expected to increase in the forecast period.
- Mexico is growing the fastest, at a CAGR of 6.2% from 2022-2028, because of new technologies developed by Mexican agriculture universities, the use of hybrid seeds, and export to major countries such as the United States, Japan, and China.
- In 2021, Canada accounted for a 7.8% share of the total demand in the region and had an 11.1% share of the country's vegetable seeds market because of the high consumption in different ways, such as tomato ketchup and tomato puree. Therefore, the demand for tomato seeds is expected to increase.
- Therefore, there is an expected increase in demand for tomato seeds in the region due to the increase in production and yield in the region.
Competitive LandscapeThe North America Tomato Seed Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 80.09%. The major players in this market are BASF SE, Bayer AG, Groupe Limagrain, Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V. and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3.3 United States
5.3.4 Rest Of North America
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Bejo Zaden B.V.
6.4.4 Enza Zaden
6.4.5 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.6 Nong Woo Bio
6.4.7 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.8 Sakata Seeds Corporation
6.4.9 Syngenta Group
6.4.10 Takii and Co.,Ltd.
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Bejo Zaden B.V.
- Enza Zaden
- Groupe Limagrain
- Nong Woo Bio
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Sakata Seeds Corporation
- Syngenta Group
- Takii and Co.,Ltd.