The India Cotton Seed Market (seed For Sowing) is projected to register a CAGR of 3.86%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The major companies are developing new hybrids and the adoption of hybrids is high due to disease-resistant, increased shelf life, high yield, and wider adaptability.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives: Open-pollinated varieties require fewer inputs, such as fertilizer and pesticides, and are less expensive than hybrid seeds and more affordable for low-income farmers.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- Hybrids have a higher share in the cotton seed market, accounting for 97.6% of the market value in 2021. The high share of hybrids is due to the high-yielding and pest-resistant properties, which help in reducing the losses and cost of production.
- In cotton, hybrids give a 50% higher yield than normal varieties. Hybrids also show wider adaptability due to their high buffering capacity to environmental fluctuations. Therefore, the demand for hybrids is expected to increase in the country.
- In India, out of the total area under cotton hybrids, 95% area was occupied by transgenic hybrids in 2020. The area under transgenic cotton increased from 9.9 million ha in 2016 to 11.9 million ha in 2020. The increasing transgenic area under cultivation is a sign of farmers’ confidence in the Bt cotton technology in India. Therefore, the demand for transgenic cotton is expected to increase further during the forecast period.
- In 2021, open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives accounted for about 2.4% of the Indian cotton seed market. The open-pollinated varieties market is projected to record a CAGR of 4.4% during the forecast period. The open-pollinated varieties are mainly cultivated in rainfed conditions due to the low cost of seeds and their ability to withstand water stress.
- In India, the adoption of hybrids and improved OPVs resulted in many advantages, such as self-sufficiency and stability in production and foreign exchange earnings. Therefore, these factors may drive the Indian cotton seed market during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe India Cotton Seed Market (seed For Sowing) is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 33.74%. The major players in this market are Bayer AG, JK Agri Genetics Ltd (JKAL), Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Co. (Mahyco), Namdhari Seeds Pvt. Ltd. and Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
188.8.131.52 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
184.108.40.206 Transgenic Hybrids
220.127.116.11.1 Insect Resistant
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Bayer AG
6.4.2 DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
6.4.3 JK Agri Genetics Ltd (JKAL)
6.4.4 Kaveri Seeds
6.4.5 Krishak Bharati Co-Op Limited (KRIBHCO)
6.4.6 Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Co. (Mahyco)
6.4.7 Namdhari Seeds Pvt. Ltd.
6.4.8 Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd
6.4.9 Rallis India Limited
6.4.10 Rasi Seeds (P) Ltd.
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Bayer AG
- DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
- JK Agri Genetics Ltd (JKAL)
- Kaveri Seeds
- Krishak Bharati Co-Op Limited (KRIBHCO)
- Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Co. (Mahyco)
- Namdhari Seeds Pvt. Ltd.
- Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd
- Rallis India Limited
- Rasi Seeds (P) Ltd.