The India Maize Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.56%
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: There is an increase in the demand for hybrid seeds due to an increase in the cultivation area under hybrid seed and availbility of improved hybrid seed varieties.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The major companies are developing new hybrids and the adoption of hybrids is high due to disease-resistant, increased shelf life, high yield, and wider adaptability.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- Hybrid maize seeds dominated the Indian maize seed market in 2021, holding a share of 68.6% compared to OPVs (31.4%) in 2021, mainly due to the high adoption rate of hybrid seeds by farmers in larger states of the country.
- Currently, hybrid maize accounts for more than 60% of the total maize area in India. The need for high-yielding cultivars has been growing due to the widespread use of maize as feed and customers' growing interest in foods that are nutritionally enhanced.
- According to the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the rate of hybridization is 23%-100% in the Indian maize market, with Bihar and Tamil Nadu having the highest levels (100%) of hybridization, whereas open-pollinated seed varieties or inbred varieties occupied the remaining area.
- The majority of hybrid characteristics include uniform cobbs, resistance to biotic and abiotic challenges such as diseases, pests, drought, and other qualitative qualities like grain quality, a high number of cobbs, etc.
- The main constraint in cultivating corn using OPVs is lower yields than hybrids. OPVs also have less vigor as the same seed offspring is utilized in subsequent agricultural seasons.
- Thus, due to high yield, high resistance to diseases, and an increase in hybridization, the hybrid seed segment in the maize market is expected to record a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period.
Competitive LandscapeThe India Maize Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 37.13%. The major players in this market are Bayer AG, Corteva Agriscience, Kaveri Seeds, Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
220.127.116.11 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 Bayer AG
6.4.3 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.4 DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
6.4.5 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.6 Kaveri Seeds
6.4.7 Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd
6.4.8 Rasi Seeds (P) Ltd.
6.4.9 Syngenta Group
6.4.10 VNR Seeds
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- Bayer AG
- Corteva Agriscience
- DCM Shriram Ltd (Bioseed)
- Groupe Limagrain
- Kaveri Seeds
- Nuziveedu Seeds Ltd
- Rasi Seeds (P) Ltd.
- Syngenta Group
- VNR Seeds