The China Vegetable Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.91%
- Largest Segment by Crop Family - Solanaceae: It is the largest segment as higher demand for Solanaceae crops in the local market, high export potential, an increase in area cultivated, and hybrid seeds available.
- Largest Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The high share of hybrids is due to benefits such as high yield, disease resistance, and abiotic stress tolerance. The growers prefer to use them for minimizing crop loss.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop Family - Cucurbits: Cucurbits are expected to witness the fastest growth because of an increase in the consumption of cucumber in salads, high prices, and favorable weather conditions.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Breeding Technology - Hybrids: The major companies are developing new hybrids and the adoption of hybrids is high due to disease-resistant, increased shelf life, high yield, and wider adaptability.
Key Market Trends
Hybrids is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- Globally, in 2021, China was the leading vegetable producer producing 51% of the global vegetable production, which is associated with the increase in hybrid vegetable seed production and increase in breeding and research and development after the Seed Project, 1995.
- China had a market share of 40% in the global vegetable production area. With increased productivity, the production difference between China and India, the second-largest vegetable producer, was 453 million metric ton.
- In China, hybrid vegetable seeds held a share of 72% of the total vegetable seed market in 2021, with the remaining being occupied by open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives.
- Among all the vegetable crop families, solanaceous vegetables occupied a major portion of the hybrid and OPV seed market in 2021, accounting for 38% and 44% of the respective seed markets in the country.
- The hybrid vegetable seed market is growing at a faster rate compared to the OPVs in the country at a CAGR of 5.1% during the forecast period, which is because of their higher yield.
- Hybrid vegetable seed usage has increased in the Chinese Seed industry because of the breeding programs and government policies, specifically during the 12th Five-year project.
- The per consumption of vegetables is more in Chinese households, which demanded more vegetables with an increase in the population in the last two decades, which is the major driving factor increase in the vegetable seed industry of the country.
- The new Seed Law of the country excludes all vegetables from variety registration, and the National Vegetable Industry Development Plan to increase the greenhouse and protected cultivation area is expected to be increasing the vegetable seed industry of the country on a large scale.
Competitive LandscapeThe China Vegetable Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 23.44%. The major players in this market are Groupe Limagrain, Hefei Fengle Seed Industry Co., Ltd, Syngenta Group, Takii and Co.,Ltd. and Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3 Crop Family
22.214.171.124 Cauliflower & Broccoli
126.96.36.199 Other Brassicas
188.8.131.52 Cucumber & Gherkin
184.108.40.206 Pumpkin & Squash
220.127.116.11 Other Cucurbits
5.3.3 Roots & Bulbs
18.104.22.168 Other Roots & Bulbs
22.214.171.124 Other Solanaceae
5.3.5 Unclassified Vegetables
126.96.36.199 Other Unclassified Vegetables
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 Bejo Zaden B.V.
6.4.3 East-West Seed
6.4.4 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.5 Hefei Fengle Seed Industry Co., Ltd
6.4.6 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.7 Sakata Seeds Corporation
6.4.8 Syngenta Group
6.4.9 Takii and Co.,Ltd.
6.4.10 Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- BASF SE
- Bejo Zaden B.V.
- East-West Seed
- Groupe Limagrain
- Hefei Fengle Seed Industry Co., Ltd
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Sakata Seeds Corporation
- Syngenta Group
- Takii and Co.,Ltd.
- Yuan Longping High-Tech Agriculture Co., Ltd