Increased Need to Reduce Machine Downtime to Drive the Market Growth
Employment of PLC systems can reduce the machine downtime, drastically. As these systems are automated, they can identify and rectify any error without human intervention. These systems are designed to monitor the machines, which are working continuously, so as to detect any errors or malfunctioning of the machinery and initiate a rapid response. The downtime of machines can be reduced from 20% to 4% by the use of automated PLC systems. The rise in need for reducing the system downtime is driving the PLC market growth. Today, industries are required to increase the efficiency of their production systems and reduce the losses caused by downtime. PLC systems are being employed by many manufacturing and production industries, in order to reduce the total downtime and cut down additional costs of machine repair and labor.
Chemical and Petrochemical To Dominate the Market Over the Forecast Period
The rate adoption of PLC systems in the chemical industry is growing at a fast pace. Even though, PLC entered the market late, there is a large scope for its use in the chemical industry. Owing to several advanced and complicated processes, this industry requires the most innovative and productive process automation solutions. The batch process in the chemical industry is sequential in nature and requires the time-of-event-based decisions that are controlled by PLCs. In petrochemical plants, there is an emphasis on safety with the concern over explosion. There is a great acceptance toward PLC technologies, as the processes vary less and can be repeated. Overall, a control can be achieved via the remote Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems by linking many distributed PLC systems. In addition, the chemical and petrochemical plants cover large geographical areas, which necessitate remote and unmanned operations of the plants. Additionally, raw materials and processed products are transported over great distances via pipelines. In such cases, pumping and valve stations need to work autonomously, with minimal remote supervision.
United States to Hold a Major Share in North America
The United States is on the verge of experiencing the fourth industrial revolution, as an extensive scale of data is being generated and integrated via a wide variety of manufacturing systems throughout the US supply chain. The United States is one of the largest automotive markets, worldwide, and a home to over 13 major automotive manufacturers. The automotive manufacturing industry has been one of the largest revenue generators for the country, in the manufacturing sector. The formation of the ‘Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP)’ is one such initiative undertaken to make industries, universities, and the federal governments invest in the emerging technologies. This factor has helped the country to gain a competitive edge in the global economy. The National Network for Manufacturing Innovation (NNMI) was proposed by Obama, which focuses on developing regional hubs that can be involved in development and adoption of cutting-edge manufacturing technologies, in order to make innovative products to be used in the manufacturing sector.
Key Developments in the Market
- July 2016 - General Electric acquired Biosafe Group, to offer vital manufacturing tools for a coming wave of cell therapies. Microsoft and General Electric (GE) partnered up to bring GE’s Predix software to the Microsoft cloud, Azure, to catalyze the processes of industrial organizations in creating Internet of Things (IoT) networks.
- May 2016 - ABB acquired SVIA Automation Solutions, to expand ABB’s portfolio of advanced and vision-integrated applications that benefits Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and Computer Numeric Control (CNC).
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- The changing market scenario for PLC systems.
- Various perspectives of the market, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The security technology, services, and vertical expected to dominate the market
- The regions expected to witness the fastest growth rates during the forecast period
- The latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Study Deliverables
2. Research Aproach and Methodology
2.1 Study Assumptions
2.2 Analysis Methodology
2.4 Research Phases
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.3 Factors Driving the Market
4.3.1 Increased Adoption of Automation Systems
4.3.2 Ease of Use and Familiarity with PLC Programming to Sustain Growth
4.4 Factors Restraining the Market
4.4.1 Demand for Customization of Products and Gradual Shift from Batch to Continuous Processing in Discrete Industries
4.4.2 Increase in Adoption of Distributed Control Systems (DCS), with Enhanced Safety and Advanced Control Capabilities
4.5 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
5. Global PLC Market - Segmentation by Type
6. Global PLC Market - Segmentation by End-user Industry
6.1 Chemical and Petrochemical
6.3 Paper & Pulp
6.4 Water and Waste Water Treatment
6.5 Energy and Utilities
6.6 Oil & Gas
6.8 Food, Tobacco, and beverages
7. Global PLC Market - Segmentation by Geography
7.1 North America
7.1.1 United States
7.2.1 United Kingdom
7.2.4 Rest of Europe
7.3.2 India Japan
7.3.4 Rest of Asia-Pacific
7.4 Latin America
7.4.3 Rest of Latin America
7.5 Middle East & Africa
7.5.1 United Arab Emirates
7.5.2 Saudi Arabia
7.5.3 South Africa
7.5.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
8. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
8.1 ABB Ltd
8.2 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
8.3 Schneider Electric
8.4 Rockwell Automation
8.5 Siemens AG
8.6 General Electric Co.
8.7 Honeywell International Inc.
8.8 Omron Corporation
8.9 Panasonic Corporation
8.10 Robert Bosch GmbH
8.11 Emerson Electric Co.
9. Investment Analysis
10. Future of the Market
- ABB Ltd
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Schneider Electric
- Rockwell Automation
- Siemens AG
- General Electric Co.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Omron Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Emerson Electric Co.