Based on a proprietary machine learning patent literature analysis and hands-on energy storage industry knowledge, we describe the global supercapacitor innovation environment.
IP radar diagrams illustrate how different players are positioned along the value chain (materials, cells, modules and end applications). We illustrate correlations between different applications and specific capacitor types (EDLC - electric double-layer capacitor, symmetric and asymmetric hybrid capacitors) and where IP activity is moving.
In the technology stack analyses, we group patents around current or potential commercial products, such as ‘EDLC cells with high temperature resistance’ or ‘asymmetric hybrid capacitors based on dry processed carbon electrodes’. For large companies with hundreds of patent filings, we identified up to 4 different technology stacks, allowing for the assessment of large patent portfolios in a well digestible format.
Findings are combined with market information to illustrate the competitive innovation position of each player.
IP radar diagrams and key patents are listed for 109 companies with links to the patent full text. 51 companies are described in more detail based on a technology stack analysis and with links to product description websites (if available).
Reasons to Buy
- This review provides energy storage professionals with an objective and future-looking basis to assess which companies will be innovation leaders in the future.
- Readers will understand which players will enjoy a competitive innovation advantage depending on two different scenarios: 1) EDLCs will dominate the market; 2) hybrid capacitors will dominate the market.
The patent information source for this publication is the European Patent Office (EPO), which covers patent filings from more than 100 patent offices around the world. A machine learning (ML) model was defined for supercapacitors that consists of several thousand data points. Patent documents published between 2010 & July 2018 were selected based on ML relevancy scores.
*Note: 1 hour free analyst time available with Hard copy, site or Enterprise License.
- List of 109 Companies with Highly Relevant Patent Families
- Classification According to Capacitor Type
- Classification According to Application Focus
- Correlations Between Capacitor Types and Applications
- Additional Material, Cell & Module Suppliers
- Strategic Discussion & Predictions
- Value Chain IP Radar Diagrams of 109 Companies
- Technology Stack Analyses of 51 Companies
- Links to Patent Families of 109 Companies
- List of Abbreviations
List of Exhibits
Exhibit 01: Growth in Supercapacitor Patent Families (2014-2017)
Exhibit 02: List of 109 Companies with Highly Relevant Patent Families
Exhibit 03: Classification According to Capacitor Type (38 Companies)
Exhibit 04: Classification According to Application Focus (34 Companies)
Exhibit 05: Correlations Between Capacitor Types and Applications
Exhibit 06: Additional Material, Cell & Module Suppliers (38 Companies)
Exhibit 07: Ragone Plot (Energy vs. Power Density), Different Supercapacitor Types vs. Li-Ion Batteries (Liquid/Solid)
Exhibit 08: Adoption of Hybrid Supercapacitor/Li-Ion Battery Modules in Different Applications
Exhibit 09: Value Chain IP Radar Diagrams (109 Companies, IP Radar Diagram Categories: Materials, Electrodes, Cells, Modules, End Applications)
- Anhui Jiangwei
- Asahi Kasei
- Blue Solutions/Capacitor Sciences
- China Aviation
- Epson Seiko
- FAW Group
- Hitachi Chemical
- Hunan Nepuenergy
- JM Energy/JSR
- JX Nippon Oil & Energy
- Kuraray/Calgon Carbon
- LS Mtron
- Lingrong New Energy Technology
- Maxwell Technologies/Nesscap
- Meidensha Electric
- Mitsubishi Electric
- Mitsubishi Paper Mills
- Murata Manufacturing
- NGK Spark Plug
- Nanoramic Laboratories/Fastcap Systems
- Nanotek Instruments
- Nantong Jianghai
- Nippon Chemi-Con
- Nippon Zeon
- Robert Bosch
- Samwha Capacitor
- Shandong Goldencell Electronics
- Shanghai Aowei
- Showa Denko
- State Grid Corp China
- Sumitomo Electric Industries
- Supreme Power Solutions
- Suzhou Hailingda Electronic Technology
- TOC Capacitor
- Taiyo Yuden
- Tianjin Lishen
- Tianjin Xiangchi Electronic
- Zhejiang Threete