DW 2.0: The Architecture for the Next Generation of Data Warehousing is the first book on the new generation of data warehouse architecture, DW 2.0, by the father of the data warehouse. The book describes the future of data warehousing that is technologically possible today, at both an architectural level and technology level.
The perspective of the book is from the top down: looking at the overall architecture and then delving into the issues underlying the components. This allows people who are building or using a data warehouse to see what lies ahead and determine what new technology to buy, how to plan extensions to the data warehouse, what can be salvaged from the current system, and how to justify the expense at the most practical level. This book gives experienced data warehouse professionals everything they need in order to implement the new generation DW 2.0.
It is designed for professionals in the IT organization, including data architects, DBAs, systems design and development professionals, as well as data warehouse and knowledge management professionals.
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
2. DW 2.0
an overview; the components
3. DW 2.0 components
- the interactive sector
- the integrated sector
- the near line sector
- the archival sector
4. The metadata infrastructure; enterprise metadata; business metadata; technical metadata
5. Creating the fluid technological infrastructure for DW 2.0
- the underlying technology approach
- the separation of static and temporal data
- the waterfall approach for operational
- the iterative approach for the DSS environment
7. Statistical and exploration processing
- the exploration warehouse
- sources of data for the exploration warehouse
- heuristic processing
8. Data modeling for the DW 2.0 environment
9. Monitoring the DW 2.0 environment
10. Security in the DW 2.0 environment
11. Time variant data
data structure representation
how the different parts of the DW 2.0 environment connect
the role of ETL and the existence of seemingly redundant data
14. The granularity manager
15. Performance across the architecture
16. Migration from 1st generation data warehouses to DW 2.0
17. Cost justification of DSS processing in DW 2.0
18. Data quality in DW 2.0
19. Conditioning unstructured data for entry into the DW 2.0 environment
20. DW 2.0 and the System of Record
21. Miscellaneous Topics
22. Processing in the DW 2.0 Environment
23. Administering the DW 2.0 Environment
Best known as the "Father of Data Warehousing," Bill Inmon has become the most prolific and well-known author worldwide in the big data analysis, data warehousing and business intelligence arena. In addition to authoring more than 50 books and 650 articles, Bill has been a monthly columnist with the Business Intelligence Network, EIM Institute and Data Management Review. In 2007, Bill was named by Computerworld as one of the "Ten IT People Who Mattered in the Last 40 Years of the computer profession. Having 35 years of experience in database technology and data warehouse design, he is known globally for his seminars on developing data warehouses and information architectures. Bill has been a keynote speaker in demand for numerous computing associations, industry conferences and trade shows. Bill Inmon also has an extensive entrepreneurial background: He founded Pine Cone Systems, later named Ambeo in 1995, and founded, and took public, Prism Solutions in 1991. Bill consults with a large number of Fortune 1000 clients, and leading IT executives on Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and Database Management, offering data warehouse design and database management services, as well as producing methodologies and technologies that advance the enterprise architectures of large and small organizations world-wide. He has worked for American Management Systems and Coopers & Lybrand. Bill received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from Yale University, and his Master of Science degree in Computer Science from New Mexico State University.
Derek Strauss CEO and Founder, Gavroshe.
Genia Neushloss Co-founder, Gavroshe.