Expert petroleum geologists David Roberts and Albert Bally bring you Regional Geology and Tectonics: Phanerozoic Rift Systems and Sedimentary Basins, volume two in a three-volume series covering Phanerozoic regional geology and tectonics. Experience in analyzing and assessing rifts-locations where the Earth's outer shell and crust have been stretched over time by seismic activity-is critical for you as an exploration geologist in identifying Earth's most lucrative hydrocarbon locations in which extraction is both efficient and safe. Vast compilations of related industry data present regional seismic lines and cross sections, and summaries of analogue and theoretical models are provided as an essential backdrop to the structure and stratigraphy of various geological settings.
- Named a 2013 Outstanding Academic Title by the American Library Association's Choice publication
- A practical reference for petroleum geologists that discusses the importance of rift systems and the structural evolution of the Earth
- Analyses of active rifts in East Africa, China, Siberia, the Gulf of Suez, and the Russian Arctic provide immediately implementable petroleum exploration applications in regions heavily targeted by oil & gas companies
- Presents overviews of sequence stratigraphy in rifts and structural controls on clastic and carbonate sedimentation-critical to the exact mapping of the most lucrative hydrocarbon locations by exploration geologists
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
- Introduction: From rifts to passive margins. D.G. Roberts & A.W. Bally
- Models for the evolution of passive margins. A. Watts
- Sequence stratigraphy in rifts. F.Neto & O.Catanuneau
- Structural controls on syn-rift sedimentation, northwestern Red Sea margin. S. Khalil & K. McClay
- Carbonate dominated marine rifts. D. Bosence
- Evolution of the Cenozoic East African rift system: cratons, plumes and continental breakup. C. Ebinger
- The Gulf of Suez Rift Basin. J. Peijs, T. Bevan & J. Piombino.
- Cenozoic rifts of Eastern China. Li Desheng
- Xialiao, Bohai. Li Yuan Hsiao, S. Graham
- Lake Baikal. R. Hus, J. Pooryt, F. Charlet, L. Naudts, O. Khlystov, J. Klerkx, M. DeBatiste
- Geology of the shelves surrounding the New Siberian Islands for seismic images: Laptev sea and East Siberian Sea, Russian Arctic. D. Franke & K. Hinz
- Development of the Passive Margin of Eastern North America: Mesozoic Rifting, Inversion and Igneous Activity. M. Withjack, R. Schlische & P. Olsen
- Extensional tectonics and stratigraphy of the Mesozoic Jeanne d'Arc basin, Grand Banks of Newfoundland. H. Welsink, A. Tankard
- The Reconcavo Basin. P. Szatmari
- The Dniepr-Donets Basin. R Stephenson & S. Stovba
- Sedimentary Basins of the Late Mesozoic Extensional Domain of China and Mongolia rifts. S. Graham, T. Cope, C. Johnson & B. Ritts
- Erlian Songliao Rifts. Li Desheng
- Inverted Rift-Basins of Northern Egypt. T. Bevan & A. Moustafa
Before joining Rice, he was Chief Geologist and Exploration Advisor to Shell Us and Pecten. Dr. Bally is a past President of the Geological Society of America and is the holder of many major awards including the Sydney Powers Award of the AAPG, the Penrose medal of the Geological Society of America and the William Smith medal of the Geological Society of London to name but a few of his awards. In particular, he is internationally recognised for his early work on cross section balancing in the Canadian Rockies.