This comprehensive and authoritative handbook provides a window into what it takes to be an effective and efficient troubleshooter.
The Handbook of Troubleshooting Plastics Processes: A Practical Guide provides a framework for understanding how to characterize plastic manufacturing processes for use in troubleshooting problems. The technical level is for process engineers and production personnel. The 21 chapters are authored by well–known and experienced industry engineers who have specialized knowledge about the processes covered in this practical guide.
The book is divided into three parts: Part One introduces the philosophy of troubleshooting, the economics and management of troubleshooting, and outlines how to use statistics for process characterization and troubleshooting. Part Two deals with plastics processes that use extrusion. Part Three deals with plastics processes that do not use extruders and has a special chapter on static.
Specifically, the Handbook of Troubleshooting Plastics Processes provides:
- An economic rationale for establishing an effective troubleshooting culture
- A primer on statists and static electricity
- 17 process descriptions and case studies to help understand the plastic process anatomy and corrective methodology for troubleshooting plastics processes
- Case studies to illuminate the process descriptions
The Handbook of Troubleshooting Plastics Processes provides a framework for process engineers, as well as technical service and production personnel in companies worldwide that manufacture plastics products and parts.
From the Preface:
"In every chapter, the process is described and the most common problems are discussed along with the root causes and potential technical solutions. Numerous case studies are provided that illustrate the troubleshooting process."
Mark A. Spalding, The Dow Chemical Company
1. The Economics of Troubleshooting Polymer Processing Systems 1
2. Troubleshooting Philosophy 19
3. Statistical Tools for Trouble Shooting a Process 25
4. Single Screw Extrusion 45
5. Troubleshooting the Co–rotating Fully Intermeshing Twin–screw Compounding System 53
6. Troubleshooting for Injection Molding 65
7. Blown Film 85
8. Cast Film Troubleshooting 109
9. Oriented Films Trouble Shooting and Characterization 129
10. Troubleshooting the Thermoforming Process 163
11. Proper Equipment Processing for Industrial/Technical Blow Molding 213
12. PET Stretch Blow Molding
13. Blow Molding Problems and Solutions 275
14. Extrusion Coating Troubleshooting 293
15. Adhesive and Thermal Lamination 309
16. Troubleshooting for Retomolding 323
17. Plastics Calendering 355
18. Compression Molding 375
19. Transfer molding 389
20. Pultrusion Process Troubleshooting 399
21. Troubleshooting Static Problems in Plastics Processes 433
Recommended reading for further study 471