High-Performance Embedded Computing, Second Edition, combines leading-edge research with practical guidance in a variety of embedded computing topics, including real-time systems, computer architecture, and low-power design. Author Marilyn Wolf presents a comprehensive survey of the state of the art, and guides you to achieve high levels of performance from the embedded systems that bring these technologies together.
The book covers CPU design, operating systems, multiprocessor programs and architectures, and much more. Embedded computing is a key component of cyber-physical systems, which combine physical devices with computational resources for control and communication. This revised edition adds new content and examples of cyber-physical systems throughout the book, including design methodologies, scheduling, and wide-area CPS to illustrate the possibilities of these new systems.
- Revised and updated with coverage of recently developed consumer electronics architectures and models of computing
- Includes new VLIW processors such as the TI Da Vinci, and CPU simulation
- Learn model-based verification and middleware for embedded systems
- Supplemental material includes lecture slides, labs, and additional resources
- Chapter 1. Embedded Computing
- Chapter 2. CPUs
- Chapter 3. Programs
- Chapter 4. Processes and Operating Systems
- Chapter 5. Multiprocessor Architectures
- Chapter 6. Multiprocessor Software
- Chapter 7. System-Level Design and Hardware/Software Co-design
- Chapter 8. Cyber-Physical Systems
Marilyn Wolf is Farmer Distinguished Chair and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar at the Georgia Institute of Technology. She received her BS, MS, and PhD in electrical engineering from Stanford University in 1980, 1981, and 1984, respectively. She was with AT&T Bell Laboratories from 1984 to 1989. She was on the faculty of Princeton University from 1989 to 2007. Her research interests included embedded computing, embedded video and computer vision, and VLSI systems. She has received the ASEE Terman Award and IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Education Award. She is a Fellow of the IEEE and ACM and an IEEE Computer Society Golden Core member.. She is the author of two successful Morgan Kaufmann textbooks on embedded systems: Computers as Components, Third Edition (2012; 4e under contract); and High-Performance Embedded Computing, Second Edition (2014).