Physics and Engineering of Radiation Detection presents an overview of the physics of radiation detection and its applications. It covers the origins and properties of different kinds of ionizing radiation, their detection and measurement, and the procedures used to protect people and the environment from their potentially harmful effects.
The second edition is fully revised and provides the latest developments in detector technology and analyses software. Also, more material related to measurements in particle physics and a complete solutions manual have been added.
- Discusses the experimental techniques and instrumentation used in different detection systems in a very practical way without sacrificing the physics content
- Provides useful formulae and explains methodologies to solve problems related to radiation measurements
- Contains many worked-out examples and end-of-chapter problems
- Detailed discussions on different detection media, such as gases, liquids, liquefied gases, semiconductors, and scintillators
- Chapters on statistics, data analysis techniques, software for data analysis, and data acquisition systems
2. Interaction of Radiation with Matter
3. Gas Filled Detectors
4. Liquid Filled Detectors
5. Solid State Detectors
6. Scintillation Detectors and Photodetectors
7. Position Sensitive Detection and Imaging
8. Signal Processing
9. Essential Statistics for Data Analysis
10. Software for Data Analysis
11. Dosimetry and Radiation Protection
12. Radiation Spectroscopy
13. Data Acquisition Systems
Dr. Ahmed has several years of extensive practical experience in the field of radiation detection and measurement. He holds degrees of Masters in Physics, Masters in Nuclear Engineering, and PhD in Physics. He has heavily contributed to research and development in some of the world renowned Physics laboratories, such as Max-Planck-Institute for Physics in Germany, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in USA, and Sudbury Neutrino Observatory in Canada. Particle/radiation detection and measurement are his primary areas of expertise. Currently he is working at Laurentian University/Penguin ASI Inc. as a Senior Research Scientist. Apart from research and development, Dr. Ahmed also teaches in the Physics department of Laurentian University.
Dr. Ahmed is a Chartered Scientist and a Chartered Physicist of the Institute of Physics, UK. He holds memberships of the Institute of Physics, UK, the Canadian Association of Physicists, and the Institute of Particle Physics, Canada.