The Dairy Market Analyst provides the most valuable information to dairy industry leaders. Subscribe to join the well-informed.
Today’s news environment feels like trying to take a sip of water out of a fire hose. Never before have managers had to sift through and process so much information to improve decision-making.
Our industry is volatile and complicated. Success every week requires keeping track of a litany of macro economic trends, politics, government intervention, weather, changing consumer behavior, and a global milk supply.
How do you decide which trends or developments are going to be key to your business - and which ones are not worth your time or attention? And, worse - what if you miss something crucial?
The Dairy Market Analyst covers the most important industry developments in real-time. Every week, our readers receive a comprehensive report on the changes in the dairy business environment.
- Retail Sales
- Retail Prices
- Forecasted USA product prices
- Forecasted New Zealand product prices
- Forecasted USA milk supply
- Product development trends
- Forward looking analysis regarding USA and international price, supply and demand dynamics
- Analysis of fundamental "Game Changers" in the global dairy industry
Editor & Analyst
Matt Gould grew up on a third-generation dairy farm in Western New York. As a dairy industry insider, he’s experienced the frustration caused by structural changes in the industry where once-reliable rules of thumb suddenly no longer apply, and has seen firsthand the vulnerability caused by having last week’s information.
Matt works directly with leading dairy companies and has been featured as an expert source in national media including Bloomberg, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal.
Analysis starts with a careful review of data published by USDA. Raw data comes from the following sources.
- Milk ProductionMilk Production - This monthly report from USDA is released mid-month and includes prior month data and any revisions in the second prior month estimates of milk production, cow numbers and milk per cow.
- Annual revisons for the previous two years of data are included in each February issue.
- Livestock, Dairy & Poultry Outlook - Each monthly issue of USDA's Livestock, Dairy & Poultry Outlook includes quarterly milk production estimates, supply and demand estimates and price estimates. Our long-range forecast is released about one week prior to the USDA forecast.
- Livestock Slaughter/Monthly Estimates - Each month, USDA reports the number of dairy cows slaughtered at federally-inspected plants. These estimates, for the previous month, are released early in the second half of each month.
- Livestock Slaughter/Weekly Estimates - Published each Thursday, these estimates foreshadow the monthly data and offer regional detail.
- World Agricultural Supply & Demand Estimates - USDA publishes milk production, utilization and price estimates each month on or about the 10th.
- Agricultural Prices - Agricultural Prices, issued monthly on or about the last day of the month, contains the milk-feed ratio, all milk price, slaughter cow prices and other data relevant to milk production.