A Manual of Essential Tools and Opportunities in Research outlines the steps necessary to conduct research and successfully complete it. This useful guide focuses on practical considerations, rather than theory alone, and covers the whole gamut of the research process. Topics covered include FINER framework, economics and cost-effectiveness, and data visualization. The book is a valuable resource for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, early independent researchers and clinical researchers across the biomedical and life sciences.
- Offers tips on how to conduct research and implement frugal innovation in developing countries
- Provides a handy compilation of useful resources for everyday research tasks
- Includes guidance on choosing software
- Highlights strategies for overcoming potential research pitfalls
1. Choice 2. Idea generation 3. Idea evaluation and refinement 4. Study design and research methodology 5. Basic biostatistics 6. Writing a proposal 7. Ethics, approval and registration 8. Securing grants 9. Execution of the Study 10. Statistical analysis 11. Summarizing existing knowledge 12. Writing a manuscript 13. Getting published 14. Dissemination avenues 15. Doing better science 16. Economics and cost effectiveness 17. Landmark papers 18. Next steps 19. Appendix
Dr. Karthik Balachandran, MD, is an endocrinologist and received his MBBS, MD and DM from JIPMER. He served as President of JIPMER Resident Doctors Association in 2015. His research interests include metabolic bone diseases and thyroid. He has a blog, Medico Musings, where he writes about and discusses endocrinology, data science and research.
Dr. Venkateswaran Ramanathan, MD, received his MBBS and MD from JIPMER and is an Assistant Professor in the same institute. He is working as a full time Internist and is in charge of the Medical ICU at JIPMER. His research interests include infections acquired in the ICU.