"Hong Kong: Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report which provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Hong Kong today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV markets, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Hong Kong’s telecom and pay-TV services market will grow from 2017 to 2022 at a CAGR of 1.5% (0.9% in HK$) driven by projected growth in the mobile data and fixed broadband segments. Mobile data will be the largest revenue-contributing segment in 2017. Also, mobile data revenue will expand at the fastest CAGR, 6.8% (6.1% in HKD) over 2017-2022, driven by growing consumption of online videos and social media applications on mobile devices in line with rising smartphone penetration, growing adoption of 4G/4.5G services and projected rise in adoption of 5G subscriptions. Going forward, Hong Kong’s pay-TV market is expected to decline at a CAGR of 0.8% (1.4% in HK$) due to decline in DTH and cable subscriptions.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Hong Kong.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Hong Kong will grow at a CAGR of 1.5% (0.9% in HK$) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for the majority of total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G/4.5G services and projected 5G growth.
- PCCW leads Hong Kong’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by China Mobile Hong Kong and 3 Hong Kong. Other operators present in the market include SmarTone and China Unicom. All the operators compete on the basis of network expansions/upgrades and competitively priced offers to strengthen their market position.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Hong Kong’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Hong Kong’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Hong Kong’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Hong Kong.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Pay-TV services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
China Mobile Hong Kong
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the authors
Country Intelligence Report coverage