Biotechnology of Metals: Principles, Recovery Methods and Environmental Concerns deals with all aspects of metal biotechnology in different areas, such as biogenesis, biomaterials, biomimetic strategies, biohydrometallurgy, mineral biobeneficiation, electrobioleaching, microbial corrosion, human implants, concrete biocorrosion, microbiology of environment pollution, and bioremediation. As the technology of this interdisciplinary science has diversified over the last five years, this book provides a valuable source for scientists and students in a number of disciplines, including geology, chemistry, metallurgy, microbiology, chemical engineering, environment, civil engineering, and biomedical engineering.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of an interdisciplinary subject
- Outlines the role of microbiology and biotechnology in mining, metallurgy, waste disposal and environmental control
- Covers new topics, such as biogenesis, biomaterials processing, the role of micro-organisms in causing corrosion, and much more
- Presents scientifically illustrated experimental research methods in metals biotechnology
1. Introduction to scope and statics of biotechnology relevant to minerals and metals 2. Biotechnology 3. Biogenesis of minerals and metals 4. History and Methods in Biohydrometallurgy 5. Microbial adhesion to metals and minerals 6. Dump, bioheap leaching and solution mining (In-sit leach) 7. Biohydrometallurgy of Zinc and Nickel 8. Bioreactor leaching 9. Status and developments in bioleaching of metal concentrates 10. Bioprocessing of polymetallic ores and ocean manganese nodules 11. Reductive dissolution in bioprocessing 12. Bioprocessing of secondary minerals and industrial wastes 13. Electrochemical concepts in biohydrometallurgy 14. Biomineral beneficiation 15. Biofouling, biodeterioration and microbial corrosion of metals and alloys 16. Microbial aspects of environmental pollution and control 17. Experimental and Research techniques in metals biotechnology 18. References
Dr. K.A. Natarajan is presently NASI Senior Scientist- Platinum Jubilee Fellow and Emeritus Professor at the Department of Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. He did his M.S. and Ph.D degrees specializing in Mineral beneficiation and Hydrometallurgy from the University of Minnesota, USA. The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Science in 1992 for his pioneering research contributions in Minerals bioprocessing. He is a Fellow of several academies such as the Indian Academy of Sciences, Indian National Academy of Engineering, and the National Academy of Sciences. He has received several medals and awards such as the National Metallurgist Award by the Ministry of Mines, Govt. of India, National Mineral award by the Ministry of Mines. Govt. of India, Alumni Award of Excellence in Engineering Research by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Kamani Gold medal of the Indian Institute of Metals and the Hindustan Zinc Gold Medal. He has also been honored with the presentation of Biotech Product and Process Development & Commercialization Award 2003, Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India. He is on the Editorial board of several international journals in the area of mineral processing. His areas of research include mineral processing, hydrometallurgy, minerals bioprocessing, corrosion engineering and environmental control. He has published over 300 research papers in leading international journals in the above areas. He was the Chairman of the Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from 1999 to 2004.