Total number of service stations in Italy declined by 4.2% in 2016, totaling19,265 service stations.Over 27,000 new fuel cards were issued in 2016, totaling to 1,378,041 cards in the market. Of those cards 59.3% were held by fleet vehicles and 40.7% CRT vehicles.Fuel card volumes rose by 3.1% in 2016 to 3.5 Billion litres continuing the rising trend which stated in 2012. Fuel card volumes account for 8.5% of total fuel sold in Italy in 2016, and will continue to grow towards 2022.
Over 78,000 new fuel cards will be issued between 2016 and 2022, totaling to 1,456,095 cards in the market. Of those cards 60.1% will be held by fleet vehicles and 39.9% CRT vehicles.Fuel card volumes will rise by 22.3% between 2016 and 2022 totaling 4.3 Billion litres in 2022.Fuel card volumes will account for 10.3% of total fuel sold in Italy in 2022, as it increases annually between 2016 and 2022.
Fleet card volumes will continue to grow rising 27.5% between 2016 and 2022 to total 2,061m litres by the end of 2022. CRT card volumes increased by 2.1% in 2016. after rising by 0.4% in 2015. Between 2016 and 2022 CRT card volumes will increase by 17.7%, totaling 2,207m litres by the end of 2022.
Top five fuel card operators made up 88.5% of fuel card volumes in 2016 as they all offer large card acceptance networks and services such as online monitoring and toll payments. Eni remained the dominant fuel card market leader despite losing market share accounting for 35.7% in 2016, as clients were drawn to its large domestic card network and international network through the ROUTEX group.
The report "Fuel Cards in Italy 2017", is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and fuel retailers it provides commercial (B2B) fuel card volume (split by fleet and CRT), value and market share forecasts to 2022, key data on independent and oil company card issuers and an analysis of fuel card competition in Italy.
Companies mentioned in this report:Shell, BP, Esso, DKV, UTA, TOTAL, Q8, Agip (Eni), ROUTEX, AS24, Aral, OMV, Circle K, OMV, Eurowag, Avia, Auchan, AS24, Aral, Jet,Intermarche, API/IP, TOTALERG.
- The total number of service stations in Italy declined by 4.2% in 2016 totalling 19,265 service stations. Over 78,000 new fuel cards will be issued between 2016 and 2022, totalling to 1,456,095 cards in the market.
- Total fleet card volumes rose by 4.2% in 2016 continuing the upward trend started in 2012.
- The top five fuel card operators made up 88.5% of fuel card volumes in 2016 as they all offer large card acceptance networks and services such as online monitoring and toll payments.
- Plan effective market entry strategies by uncovering current and future volumes and values of the Italian fuel card market.
- Assess whether you should increase network acceptance of your card and identify potential new merchants by uncovering the position of competitors.
- Whether you are an issuer, a processor, a leasing company or a fuel retailer, make informed pitches to partners by understanding their business.
- Enhance fuel sales at your service stations by identifying which fuel cards you should accept based on their market shares and network acceptance.
Competitor Card Analysis