Total number of service stations in France marginally declined by 0.2% in 2016(11,380 service stations).Over 50,000 new fuel cards were issued in 2016, totaling to 2,567,400 cards in the market. Of those cards 75.7% were held by fleet vehicles and 24.3% CRT vehicles.Fuel card volumes rose by 16.4% in 2016 to 12.3 billion litres continuing the rising trend which stated in 2015. Fuel card volumes account for 27.2% of total fuel sold in France in 2016, and will continue to grow towards 2022.The value of the fuel card market rose by 33.5% in 2016 to €14.952.8m as fuel prices and volumes began to rise.
Total fleet card volumes rose by 18.1% in 2016 to total over 6.4 billion litres continuing the upward trend started in 2011.Fleet card volumes will continue to grow rising 18.8% between 2016 and 2022 to total 7,683m litres by the end of 2022. CRT card volumes increased by 14.5% in 2016, after falling by 0.1% in 2015. Between 2016 and 2022 CRT card volumes will increase by 7.1%, totaling 6,297m litres by the end of 2022.
Top five fuel card operators made up 71.3% of fuel card volumes in 2016 as they all offer large card acceptance networks and services such as online monitoring and toll payments.
“TOTAL” remained the dominant fuel card market leader as it maintained its market share accounting for 50.0% in 2016, as clients were drawn to its large domestic card network which accounts for over 30.0% of service stations in France.
The report "Fuel Cards in France 2017", is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and fuel retailers it provides commercial (B2B) fuel card volume (split by fleet and CRT), value and market share forecasts to 2022, key data on independent and oil company card issuers and an analysis of fuel card competition in France.
Companies mentioned in this report:Shell, BP, Esso, DKV, UTA, TOTAL, Q8, Agip (Eni), ROUTEX, AS24, Aral, OMV, Circle K, OMV, Eurowag, Avia, Auchan, AS24, Aral, Jet, Intermarche.
- The total number of service stations in France marginally declined by 0.2% in 2016 totalling 11,380 service stations. Over 180,000 new fuel cards will be issued between 2016 and 2022, totalling to 2,748,247 cards in the market.
- CRT card volumes increased by 14.5% in 2016. after falling by 0.1% in 2015.
- TOTAL remained the dominant fuel card market leader as it maintained its market share accounting for 50.0% in 2016, as clients were drawn to its large domestic card network which accounts for over 30.0% of service stations in France.
- Plan effective market entry strategies by uncovering current and future volumes and values of the French fuel card market.
- Assess whether you should increase network acceptance of your card and identify potential new merchants by uncovering the position of competitors.
- Whether you are an issuer, a processor, a leasing company or a fuel retailer, make informed pitches to partners by understanding their business.
- Enhance fuel sales at your service stations by identifying which fuel cards you should accept based on their market shares and network acceptance.
Competitor Card Analysis