Kuwait’s population of 4.5m as of 2017 makes it the 50th most populated country in the Africa & Middle East (AME) region. EIU expects Kuwait’s population to increase at a CAGR of 4.4% over the 2017-2022 to reach 5.6m by the end of 2022.
Kuwait’s total telecom service revenue reached $2.3bn in 2017, a decline of 1.4% over 2016 resulting from the drop in mobile and fixed voice revenue. Total service revenue, however, will recover from 2018 onward to reach about $3.4bn by 2022, primarily driven by growth in mobile data and fixed broadband revenue.
Mobile voice accounted for around $1.3bn or over 55% of total revenue in 2017 and will decline to $1.2bn by 2022, as users increasingly substitute mobile telephony with OTT-based communications, enabled by the rising adoption of 4G services, and the wide availability of data-centric mobile plans.
Mobile data revenue will expand with a CAGR of over 18% over 2017-2022 to reach around $1.6bn by 2022. Growth will be driven by a steady rise in smartphone penetration, increase in 4G subscriptions and in the average data usage per subscriber.
While fixed voice revenue will decline from around $76m in 2016 to $41m in 2022 due to high fixed-to-mobile transition, fixed broadband revenue will grow the fastest with a CAGR of about 23.8% during 2017-2022. Fixed broadband revenues are set to cross $461m by 2022, led by increasing adoption of fiber and fixed wireless services.
The report "Kuwait: Country Intelligence Report", provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Kuwait today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022.
In depth, this report contains the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Kuwait.
- The regulatory environment and trends: A review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: Analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: An examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: Analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Kuwait will grow at a CAGR of 8.0% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue accounted for 84.8% of total service revenue in 2017, supported by increasing adoption of 4G services and data-centric mobile plans.
- Zain Kuwait led the country’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by Viva Kuwait and Ooredoo Kuwait.
- In the fixed broadband market, KEMS/Zajil, FASTtelco and Mada were the top three players in 2017. We expect FASTtelco to closely challenge KEMS/Zajil over the forecast period.
- The country's strategic development plan "New Kuwait 2035" will open further opportunities for operators and technology vendors in smart services and digital transformation solutions.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Kuwait’s telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Kuwait’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Kuwait’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Kuwait.
Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
Demographic and macroeconomic context
Telecom services market outlook
Total telecom service revenue
Mobile services market
Fixed services market
Competitive landscape and company snapshots
Market share overview
Baseline forecast assumptions
About the author
Country Intelligence Report coverage