Rising Consumer’s Awareness Regarding Health Benefits of Probiotics
The increase in health-consciousness among consumers has led to a shift in eating preference, mostly toward healthy, minimally processed and nutritious food products. The nutritional profile of yoghurt is what drives health conscious consumers to opt for yoghurt over other processed alternatives. Greek yogurt is a good option among the other dairy products, especially for consumers who have slight lactose intolerance, since in the production process, much of the lactose is removed from the yogurt. The growth in demand for probiotics is attributed to the rising awareness among consumers of yogurt in South America regarding its numerous health benefits. Consumer preference for frozen yogurt is on a rise.
Fat Free Yogurt is Gaining Popularity
Regular yogurt holds the largest share in South America yogurt market. However, fat-free yogurt is expected to see a faster growth, owing to rising health consciousness among consumers supporting its demand. Regular yogurt is a popular category, owing to its low price and widespread availability. Regular yogurts are readily available in both online and offline retail outlets. According to a recent survey, about 45% of consumers picked breakfast as the time of day they usually consume regular yogurt products. The flavor and texture are major reasons for the consumer demand for regular yogurt.
By form, Greek yogurt holds the highest share. The demand for Greek yogurt, which holds about more than half of the share in the total market, is expected to rise as it contains few carbohydrates and fats and is high in protein content.
Brazil Dominates the Market
Brazilian economy has been stabilized in the past few years, which gives a huge opportunity in dairy market, by increasing the per capita consumption. The growth in the forecast period is driven by rising health-conscious demand, the impact of cost pressures on prices and manufacturer’s value-adding innovation. There have been interesting growth and development in dairy categories and sub-products in Argentina, where milk caramel and yogurts are the most important, especially the latter, has duplicated its production and consumption rates in the last decade.
MAJOR PLAYERS: CHOBANI INC., DMK DEUTSCHES MILCHLONTOR, FAGE, FONTERRA, GENERAL MILLS, GROUPE DANONE, GRUPO ALPURA, KRAFT FOODS GROUP, NESTLE, SCHREIBER FOODS, THE DANONE COMPANY, ULTIMA FOODS INC, YAKULT HONSHA CO., LTD., YEO VALLEY and YOPLAIT, amongst others.
- October 2017: Grupo Lala completed the acquisition of a 99.9% share of Brazilian dairy company Vigor Alimentos, S.A. in a deal worth USD 1.3 billion, aligning with the company’s strategy of expanding its value-added dairy business in South America.
- July 2017: Arlon Group, a New York-based food and agriculture investment firm, acquired a stake in CBL Alimentos SA (Betânia), based in Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil. Betânia is the largest dairy company in the northeast region of Brazil, producing fluid milk, dairy drinks and yogurt, and other dairy products.
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis.
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors that are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth prospects of the market over the forecast period.
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative and quantitative research, incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects.
- Country-level analysis, integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market.
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development over the past five years.
- Comprehensive company profiles, covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
This report can be customized to meet your requirements.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market Trend
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Rising Consumer’s Awareness Regarding Health Benefits of Probiotics
4.1.2 Availability of Variety and Resulting Increase in Spending on Yogurt
4.2.1 Increase in Cost of Production
4.3.1 Demand for Innovative Products
4.3.2 Value-Added Yogurt Varieties
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Regular Yogurt
5.1.2 Fat-free Yogurt
5.2 By Form
5.2.1 Set Yogurt
5.2.2 Yogurt Drinks
5.2.3 Greek Yogurt
5.2.4 Frozen Yogurt
5.3 By Distribution Channel
5.3.1 Supermarket/ Hypermarket
5.3.2 Convenience Store
5.3.3 Grocery Store
5.4 By Geography
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Strategy Adopted by Key players
6.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Chobani Inc.
7.2 DMK Deutsches Milchlontor
7.5 General Mills
7.6 Groupe Danone
7.7 Grupo Alpura
7.8 Kraft Foods Group
7.10 Schreiber Foods
7.11 The Danone Company
7.12 Ultima Foods Inc
7.13 Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd.
7.14 Yeo Valley
- Chobani Inc.
- DMK Deutsches Milchlontor
- General Mills
- Groupe Danone
- Grupo Alpura
- Kraft Foods Group
- Schreiber Foods
- The Danone Company
- Ultima Foods Inc
- Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd.
- Yeo Valley