The photonics market was valued at USD 590.35 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach a value of USD 928.51 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 7.84% over the forecast period (2018 - 2023). The scope of the photonics market has been segmented based on application and region. The application type segment includes safety & defense technologies, automation & measurement systems, production technology, information technology, photonic servers & routers, biometrics, life sciences & medical technology, optical communications, wireless communication & sensor networks, and light sources (photovoltaic) among others. Other applications considered in the scope include traffic, environment, research and education, etc. The regional landscape of the report includes North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World.
Growing Adoption of Photonics is Replacing Semiconductor and Conductor Industry
Silicon photonics is an evolving branch of photonics offering a clear advantage over electric conductors used in semiconductors, which are used in high-speed transmission systems. This technology is expected to push the transmission speeds up to 100 Gbps, with companies, such as IBM, Intel, and Kothura achieving breakthroughs using the technology. Intel optical transceivers developed using silicon photonics are being deployed for 100G connectivity. This technology is revolutionizing the semiconductor industry, enabling high-speed data transfer and processing. The market is expected to invest heavily in the mass adoption of this technology, and be a key aspect in the development of high-performance computing, in improving performance and efficiency. Thus, the emergence of silicon-based photonics is driving the growth of the market.
Image Capturing & Display Captures the Major Market Share Among Other Applications
Image capturing & display deals with a broad palette of interrelated photonics technologies. The market share of LED technology is rapidly growing, and it is anticipated to become the dominant lighting technology before the end of the decade. This revolution in technology allowed the business to shift from light sources to intelligent lighting solutions. The evolvement of photonics has resulted in a steady increase in the performance of both OPV and OLED technologies, which is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
United States Occupies the Major Market Share Among Other Regions
The growth in the photonics market in the United States strongly correlates with the growth of parent markets, such as lighting, safety & defense applications, and healthcare and production technology. Similarly, the country leads the data center hardware market, which remains one of the major applications for photonics, with around one-third of the overall market share. The United States has the highest concentration of photonics-based application companies, with more than 35% accounting for the highest revenues in this segment, which are the primary reasons for market growth in the country.
Key Recent Developments
- November 2017: IBM announced the successful testing of a fully-integrated Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) Si photonics chip for Big Data and cloud services, enabling the download of an entire HD digital movie in two seconds.
- June 2017: Hamamatsu Photonics KK and Nichia Corporation reached a basic agreement to build a wide-ranging collaborative framework, leveraging the two companies’ proprietary optical and other technologies.
- May 2017: Intel announced plans to integrate Thunderbolt (optical Data Transfer) into future CPUs.
Major Players: HAMAMATSU PHOTONICS KK, INTEL CORP., HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, IBM CORPORATION, MOLEX INC. (KOCH INDUSTRIES), INFINERA CORPORATION. , S PHOTONICS SAS, INNOLUME GMBH, FINISAR CORPORATION, LPG PHOTONICS, OSRAM AG, AND PHILIPS N.V. amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyze how the growing adoption of photonics is taking over semiconductor and conductor in the global market scenario
- Analyze various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 EMERGENCE OF SILICON-BASED PHOTONICS APPLICATIONS
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 REGULATIONS GOVERNING MATERIAL AVAIABILITY
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Model – Industry Attractiveness
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Global Photonics Market Segmentation - By Application
6.1 Surveying & Detection
6.2 Production Technology
6.3 Data Communication
6.4 Image Capture & Display
6.5 Medical Technology
6.7 Others (Traffic, Research)
7. Global Photonics Market Segmentation - By Region
7.1 North America
7.4 Rest of the World
8. Global Photonics Market , Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
8.1 Hamamatsu Photonics KK
8.2 Intel Corp
8.3 Hewlett-Packard Company
8.4 IBM Corporation
8.5 Molex Inc. (Koch Industries)
8.6 Infinera Corporation.
8.7 3S Photonics SAS
8.8 Innolume GmbH
8.9 Finisar Corporation
8.10 IPG Photonics
8.11 Osram Licht AG
8.12 Philips N.V
9. Investment Analysis
9.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
9.2 Investor Outlook
10. Future of the Photonics Market
- 3S Photonics SAS
- Finisar Corporation
- Hamamatsu Photonics KK
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- IBM Corporation
- IPG Photonics
- Infinera Corporation.
- Innolume GmbH
- Intel Corp
- Molex Inc. (Koch Industries)
- Osram Licht AG
- Philips N.V