The global microencapsulated food ingredient market is expected to register a CAGR of 9.8% during the forecast period, 2018 to 2023. Microencapsulation is a process by which small particles of solid, liquid, or gas (active core) are packaged within a secondary material (encapsulant) to form a capsule. The food & beverage industry has been embracing this technology due to its enhanced economic feasibility and greater convenience.
The market is segmented based on the captivating technology, shell material, application, and geography. Based on the captivating technology, the market is further segmented into spray, emulsions, and dripping. The spray technology segment of the market is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period as it simplifies the food manufacturing process by converting atomized liquids to solid powder, thereby decreasing the production and handling costs.
Based on the shell material, the market comprises of polysaccharides, proteins, lipids, emulsifiers, and other shell materials. The polysaccharide segment has been leading due to its universal usage across various industry sectors. The polysaccharides have enhanced biocompatibility, solubility, modification potential, and innate bioactivity, which make it a popular choice of shell material. The protein segment is expected to achieve higher growth rate owing to the increasing trend for protein products consumption.
Growing Demand for Food Fortification
Owing to the growing need for tackling micronutrients deficiency, governments world over, along with the other stakeholders, have taken substantial efforts to further the fortification programs for achieving last mile efficiency. In the wake of such scenario, microencapsulation of food ingredients presents the suitable option to achieve targeted delivery of nutrients, apart from delivering the value-added ingredients in a convenient and user-friendly way.
Microencapsulation – Enhanced Stability and Increased Convenience
Owing to rising awareness regarding the overall health and well-being, consumers nowadays are increasingly demanding functional foods and supplements that are required to be delivered in the most efficient and effective way. Microencapsulation is the suitable technology to provide controlled and targeted release of functional ingredients, thereby augmenting their bioavailability and at the same time providing food industries with ease of manufacturing. The technology is known to preserve the overall integrity of the food products by stabilizing the sensitive aspects, like flavor, appearance, and the shelf-life.
North America to Dominate the Market Growth – Asia-Pacific to be the Fastest-Growing Market
The North American region has been dominating the market for encapsulated food ingredients due to robust manufacturing base and availability of key players, particularly in the United States. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing market due to emergence of regional players, low labor cost, and high demand from the food fortification and agrochemical sectors. Rising demand for healthy diet and changing eating habits are the key driving factors for regional demand.
- December 2017 - Smart Cups of Mission Viejo, California, had introduced a line of 3-D-polycapsule printed, self-stirring and biodegradable cups that create an energy drink when water is added. The ingredients for the beverage are microencapsulated in the packaging itself.
- June 2017 - Balchem Corporation acquired Innovative Food Processors (IFP), Inc., a privately held manufacturer of agglomerated and microencapsulated food and nutrition ingredients, headquartered in Faribault, Minnesota.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
- Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please contact us for more information.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market Trend
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Food Fortification
4.1.2 Value-addition of Functional Foods
4.1.3 Wide Application Spectrum
4.2.1 Highly Sophasticated - Required Skilled Labor
4.2.2 Alternative Methods for Ingredient Delivery
4.3.1 Targeted and Controlled Nutrients Delivery
4.3.2 Microencapsulated Pro-biotic Foods
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Segmentation
5.1 By Captivating Technology
5.2 By Shell Material
5.2.5 Other Shell Materials
5.3 By Application
5.3.2 Micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)
5.3.3 Herbs and bioactives
5.3.4 Other food ingredients
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
5.4.4 South America
126.96.36.199 South Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Strategy Adopted by Key Players
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.2 Royal DSM
7.3 BASF SE
7.4 Ingredion Incorporated
7.5 ABCO Laboratories Inc
7.6 Frieslandcampina Kievit
7.7 GAT Food Essentials GmbH
7.8 Kerry Group
7.9 Lycored Group
7.10 National Enzyme Company
7.11 International Flavors and Fragrances Inc.
7.12 Coating Place Inc
- Royal DSM
- BASF SE
- Ingredion Incorporated
- ABCO Laboratories Inc
- Frieslandcampina Kievit
- GAT Food Essentials GmbH
- Kerry Group
- Lycored Group
- National Enzyme Company
- International Flavors and Fragrances Inc.
- Coating Place Inc