PreK-12 Budget & Policy Outlook, 2018-2019 provides information and analysis on K-12 funding and policy in the U.S. The report includes the most recent information available on federal funding for fiscal years 2018 and 2019. There also is data on education funding that is provided by the states, ranging from a five-year perspective on per-pupil funding to the K-12 funding requested by governors in their proposed budgets for fiscal 2019.
Additionally, the report provides information on education policy at the federal and state levels. The impact of the Every Student Succeeds Act and the education policies of the Trump administration as well as state-level initiatives are detailed.
A main source of the compiled data is the U.S. Department of Education with additional data from state education departments and state government websites. Other trusted, third-party sources tapped for information include the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the National Association of State Budget Officers, the Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government, the E-Rate compliance firm Funds for Learning, the education privacy resource center Ferpa Sherpa and the nonprofit Knowledge Works.
The information and analysis contained in this report will help developers and marketers of instructional technology, educational content and school services learn more about the current state of K-12 policy and funding, so they can sharpen the focus of their product planning.
- Policy and Funding
2. Long National Debate on Education
3. ESSA Era Advances
- Table ESSA Plans Show Interest in Personalized Learning
- Table Key Goals in ESSA Plans Approved in 2017
- Table Key Goals in ESSA Plans Approved in Q1 2018
- Plans Approved, but Questions Persist
- Trump Changes in Year One
4. Federal Funding on the Rise
- Table Education Department Appropriations FY2017-FY2019 P (selected K-12 categories, $ in millions)
- Funding for Fiscal 2019 TBD
5. Title I's 50 Largest Allocations
- Table 50 Largest Title I Allocations to LEAs, FY 2017 ($ in thousands)
6. E-Rate Supports Classroom Connectivity
- Table E-Rate At-A-Glance
7. State Education Policy Trends
- Table 2017 Legislation Addresses Data and Privacy Issues
8. State Education Funding
- Table Per Pupil Funding by State, 2015
- Table Percent Change in Per-Pupil Spending, 2010-2015
9. Fiscal 2019 Proposed Budgets Support K-12
- Table States with Proposed Fiscal 2019 K-12 Funding Increases