In 2015, the global beer market was valued at USD 520 billion and is expected to reach USD 758 billion by 2023, registering a CAGR of about 4.4% during 2018-2023 (the forecast period). Beer is considered the leading alcoholic drink, globally, which accounts for over 74.58% of the global alcoholic drink market share. Countries, like India, China, the United States, Brazil, Russia, Germany, and Mexico, are among the leading markets in the world. Beer sale has been following an upward trend, worldwide, with many brands exploiting niche segments, like malt liquors, alternatives, ice beers, and non-alcoholic beers, due to the increasing health consciousness among drinkers.
Growing popularity of premium and super premium beer among consumers and increasing demand for imported beer in emerging economies are a few factors driving the global beer market.
However, there are a few restraints that are slowing the pace of the industry, such as heavy taxation and legal regulations, health issues stemming from beer consumption, and availability of beer substitutes leading to complexity in beer landscape in retail distribution channel.
Innovative products, with flavor and packaging innovation, growing popularity of craft beer, and growing demand for imported beer are expected to provide future growth opportunities for the market.
The global beer market has been segmented into four major segments, namely product type, category, style, and geography. Based on product type, beer can be classified into – light and strong beer, where strong beer segment covers over 60% of the global beer demand. Light beer segment may grow at a faster pace due to the health consciousness among drinkers. By category, the beer market has been segmented into premium, super premium, and standard beer. The premium beer segment is expected to register a CAGR of about 6.5% during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is the largest and the fastest-growing market for beer consumption, which accounts for about 36.8% of the global market share.The regional beer market growth can be attributed to the growing young population, and increasing number of middle class and their rising disposable income. Europe is the second-largest consumer of beer, which accounts for a steady growth rate. However, North America has been recording a drop in the overall beer consumption rate, annually. South America and Africa are the other developing regions witnessing significant growth rates of beer consumption.
- March 2018 - Anheuser-Busch InBev NV agreed to build a USD 100 million brewery in Tanzania, as the company plans to invest in Africa, to meet the growing demand.
- February 2018 - Heineken NV (HEINEKEN) opened a new brewery in Meoqui, Chihuahua, Mexico with a USD 500 million investment, the new brewery is the largest green field project in the history of the company. The brewery is constructed following circular economy principles, focusing on renewable energy and efficient water usage.
- January 2018 - The Boston Beer Company expanded its Samuel Adams beer brand with the launch of Sam 76, a union of lager and ale. The Samuel Adams brewers began with two active fermentations – a base lager and a base ale – each with its own respective yeast strains.
Major players – ANHEUSER-BUSCH (AB INBEV), ASAHI GROUP HOLDINGS LTD, BEIJING YANJING BREWERY, BOSTON BEER COMPANY, CARLSBERG GROUP, HEINEKEN N.V., KIRIN HOLDINGS CO LTD, KWEICHOW MAOTAI, NEW BELGIUM BREWING COMPANY, INC., SIERRA NEVADA BREWING CO and STONE AND WOOD BREWING, CO., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porters five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors, which are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative & quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic & non-economic aspects
- Regional and Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our Customer Service team, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Market Insights
2.1 Market Overview
2.2 Market Trends
2.3 Industry Attractiveness – Porters Five Forces Analysis
2.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
2.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
2.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
2.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
2.3.5 Degree of Competition
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Growing Popularity of Premium and Super Premium Beer among Consumers
3.1.2 Increasing Demand for Imported Beer in Emerging Economies
3.2.1 Complexity in Beer Landscape in Retail Distribution Channel
3.3.1 Growing Interest of Consumers, brewers, and traders to HoReCa
3.3.2 Innovation in Product Development and Packaging
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Style
4.1.4 Other Styles
4.2 By Product Type
4.2.2 Regular Beer
4.2.3 Light Beer
4.2.4 Strong Beer
4.3 By Category
4.3.2 Standard Beer
4.3.3 Premium Beer
4.3.4 Super Premium Beer
4.4 By Distribution Channel
5. Regional Market Analysis
5.1 North America
5.1.4 Rest of North America
5.2.7 Rest of Europe
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4 South America
5.4.3 Rest of South America
5.5.1 South Africa
5.5.2 Rest of Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Asahi Group Holdings Ltd
7.2 Boston Beer Company
7.3 Carlsberg Group
7.4 Kweichow Maotai
7.5 Heineken N.V.
7.6 Kirin Holdings Co Ltd
7.7 New Belgium Brewing Company, Inc.
7.8 Anheuser-Busch (AB InBev).
7.9 Beijing Yanjing Brewery
7.10 Sierra Nevada Brewing Co
7.11 Stone and Wood Brewing, Co.
- Anheuser-Busch (AB InBev)
- Asahi Group Holdings Ltd
- Beijing Yanjing Brewery
- Boston Beer Company
- Carlsberg Group
- Heineken N.V.
- Kirin Holdings Co Ltd
- Kweichow Maotai
- New Belgium Brewing Company Inc.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co
- Stone and Wood Brewing